Chapter 85 - Drill Instructor School

Playlist:

❶ "The Clones"—The Clone Wars OST

After the two Y-wing fighters lifted into space, Naluma returned to her preparations for her testing day

After the two Y-wing fighters lifted into space, Naluma returned to her preparations for her testing day. Since her meditation exercises had stretched her muscles, she jogged around the field a few times to warm up her cardiovascular system and initiated dual saber drills.

When Madine and Kiner approached the field, she extinguished the sabers and came to attention. Kiner carried two battle gear packs and wore PT clothing. Madine looked sharp in his olive service garb.

Madine and Kiner saluted back before Madine said, "Oh, please finish your exercise."

Naluma grinned at the general. They're like two school boys whenever the sabers are out. I should probably let them try them out. Igniting the sabers once again, she stepped forward and began  once more. Maybe not. Don't want to be responsible for accidental dismemberment.

When she had finished the saber drills, General Madine said, "I never get tired of seeing the Jedi battle with lightsabers. It's at once graceful yet terrifying."

She wiped the sweat from her forehead. "Thank you, General."

Colonel Kiner handed her the second pack and a concussion rifle. "Twenty-click fartlek along that ridge line. Complete it within two hours." He pointed with rifle toward the eastern ridge as the sun crested over the trees.

❶ While she adjusted the pack and rifle on her frame, Kiner headed down the trail. Naluma started, holding her pace to a steady rhythm to conserve her energy. Slow down, Kiner. This is only the beginning.

At the five-click mark, she had caught up to Kiner, whose face glowed red in exertion. She slowed even further, staying with the older man in case he collapsed.

As they passed the ten-click mark, she realized that the higher elevation on Khalkha had increased her lung capacity. What caused her lungs to burn nine years ago as a specialist now invigorated her. Kiner, however, struggled.

Naluma stopped her run and exaggerated her panting. "Need water. You should drink some too, Colonel."

Kiner continued past her, but she caught up to him soon. "Don't have time."

"If you don't hydrate, you'll collapse. Now drink and catch your breath." She shoved the canteen at him. "You're no good to us dead."

With that statement, he stopped and glared at her. "Hey, I'm your superior officer. Respect."

Naluma shook her head. "In your dreams, Kiner." She waved the canteen in front of his face. "Don't make me shove this down your throat."

He snatched the container and guzzled a couple of mouthfuls before handing it back. "Thanks."

She drank a few swigs before replacing the cap and shoving it back on her pack. "Let's head out and see if we can make up some time on the way down."