Chapter 17 - Sparring on Zaxyn

Playlist:

❶ "The Return of the Jedi"—Return of the Jedi OST

⊘ Silence

❷ "The Clash of Lightsabers"—The Empire Strikes Back Extended ST

⊘ Silence

Trails of bugs marched across the gravel road in front of Luke

Trails of bugs marched across the gravel road in front of Luke. The abundance of life-forms on the planet brought him a sense of comfort and belonging, the Force permeating him with each step.

He strolled past a row of one-story buildings, each a few hundred square meters in size. Branches from the thundu trees crossed over many of the rooftops and afforded the structures a natural camouflage.

General Crix Madine rambled on about the new military facilities and training grounds on Zaxyn. They bypassed bunkers ensconced in low hills and camouflaged by the arching thundu trees. A squad of soldiers dressed in physical training sweats double-timed it past them. "Our med center here extends across three bunkers, all connected by tunnels."

Luke nodded. I guess he doesn't know I've been over here already. I wish the tremors would stop.

He pointed to the bunkers at the far end of the ravine. "Supply ..."

The Jedi's mind wandered as they toured the complex. They may have called me "Jedi Master," but I still have so much to learn. Those sacred Jedi texts I found on Jedha are so confusing. I can't make head or tail out of most of them.  And what will happen if those fits start again in the middle of a battle?

At least I have a home now—even if it is just the shuttle parked in a field a few clicks from here. It's private. A sergeant blew a loud whistle, jostling Luke out of his reverie. It's peaceful. 

Madine interrupted his speech long enough to acknowledge the troops in front of him. "Very well, men, as you were."

With long strides, the general guided Luke out of the ravine and onto a field dotted with pre-fabs and hangars. "Mess hall here. Officers' Club over there—you should join my wife and I tonight. High command is starting a weekly dinner."

They approached the only two-story building on the base which sat beyond the mess hall. A few smaller buildings surrounded it. "And our showpiece installation—our state-of-the-art training center and shooting range with full-combat simulator. Come on. I think you're going to enjoy this. I know the troops will."

Demonstrating for the military is one thing, but how do we keep the military—or the Senate for that matter—from ordering me around? I'm not even sure I'm comfortable receiving medical benefits and supplies from Republic coffers, but how else am I going to live?

He ran his fingers through his hair as he ignored the tour speech. Maybe I should ask Leia about it. There has to be a way the Jedi Order can remain neutral. Father warned me about not letting the Senate make me their puppet.