Chapter 102 - Still Good In Him

Playlist:

❶ "Qui-Gon's Noble End"—The Phantom Menace OST

⊘ Silence

❷ "The Abduction"—The Force Awakens OST

⊘ Silence

❸ "The Supremacy"—The Last Jedi OST

⊘ Silence

After the secured call ended, Luke studied the still form of his nephew lying on the sofa

After the secured call ended, Luke studied the still form of his nephew lying on the sofa. The youth's chest rose in a set rhythm, as if a machine controlled his respiration.

Vader. A chill ran up Luke's spine.

As the lanky youth tossed, the Jedi Master pivoted toward the couch. Taking one step toward the boy, he focused his gaze on Ben's face. He saw Han. He even saw Leia. But mostly, he saw Anakin.

Anakin, the man who had trained him. Anakin, the greatest Jedi who had ever lived. Anakin, the Chosen One who had fallen so far. Anakin, trapped and hurting. Anakin, his father who still had good in him

Luke skirted the sofa to the picture window. Holding his hand behind his back, he stared out at the puffy white clouds drifting above the courtyard and the stacked-stone buildings. What if I fail? What if it's too late? What if I'm wrong? He wiped his hand across his forehead and inhaled deeply. Leia's trusting me. I can't let her down. 

Luke cried out via the Force. "Master Yoda! What am I supposed to do?"

He stared out the window for a long time, waiting for a response. Ben tossed again, almost falling off the couch. He's waking.

Luke cried again. "Father, help me. Please!"

While Ben struggled to breach his coma, Force-ghost Anakin wavered in front of Luke. The Jedi Master swung his head from the apparition to the boy.

"There is still good in him, Luke, like there was in me." Anakin's soft baritone reverberated throughout the study. "Just love him. Your love is what saved me. It will save him, too." As he spoke the last word, Anakin's ghostly form disappeared.

Luke sent out a thought to Naluma who was still teaching PuHa. When you're done with that class, can you join me in the study? We have a situation.

On it.

As Luke waited the intervening minutes, Ben tossed and turned on the couch. Two times, he caught the boy before he tumbled to the floor. Come on, Naluma, he's about to wake up.

Who?

❶ Naluma dashed through the door as Ben's eyes popped open.

He convulsed on the couch once, twice, three times before jerking to a seated position, his dark hair ruffling as he tossed his head. His breaths became ragged, eyes widened and full of fear, as he screamed. Using the Force, the frightened boy hurled holocrons and metal sculptures at Luke. And then he let out a terrifying wail full of fear.