Chapter 96 - Mission Compromised

Playlist:

❶ "Main Title/Approaching the Death Star" 1.30–end —Return of the Jedi OST

 Silence

❷ "The Return of the Jedi"—Return of the Jedi OST

❶ The antique Y-wings emerged from hyperspace over the planet Castell

❶ The antique Y-wings emerged from hyperspace over the planet Castell. A black Resultant-class star destroyer orbited the M-9 class planet, its rows of running lights glinting in the darkness of space.

Squadrons of TIE fighters streamed out of the mother ship, intercepting the Republic Y-wings. The group split into two battalions, wedging the Y-wing fighters between them. A vocal modulator transmitted over their headsets. "Republic envoys, do not break formation. Follow your escort to the surface."

Jannah replied into her headset, "Copy that. Following the leader on vector three-oh-five."

While the thrusters cooled and the landing gear vented steam, the Jedi contingent hopped out of their craft

While the thrusters cooled and the landing gear vented steam, the Jedi contingent hopped out of their craft. Naluma used the Force to lift Artoo out of his socket. The little droid sputtered and beeped while she lowered him to the tarmac.

A squad of white-armored stormtroopers marched in double-time to intercept the group. A lieutenant with gray hair and a plethora of wrinkles on his face led the cadre. He pointed to Artoo-Detoo. "Hold. Your astromech droid stays here."

Naluma turned to the lieutenant as Tandolleau ducked under their Y-wing to join them. "He holds vital information for our defense. He goes where we go."

The officer looked behind the three, searching for something. "Where is Master Skywalker? I was told to expect him?"

"Detained." Naluma held out her hand in greeting, but the man ignored it. As she lowered her hand to her side, she said, "Jedi Knight Naluma Fau. Second-in-command of the Jedi Order. This is Jedi Knight Jannah Witerspah, lead counsel."

The lieutenant snorted and frowned. "Your weapons, please." He extended his hand as all three removed their alternate sabers from their belts.

Naluma actually thought the ruse might work when the spunky droid failed to interject himself into the conversation. Tandolleau had secured his primary saber in his cockpit, while Jannah and Naluma had hidden their sabers in Artoo.