Chapter 105 - A Truce

Playlist:

❶ "Jessica's Theme"—The Man from Snowy River OST

⊘ Silence

❶ Luke entered the study around 0400 carrying two mugs of herbal tea

❶ Luke entered the study around 0400 carrying two mugs of herbal tea. He glanced over at his sleeping nephew. "Any problems tonight?"

"Not a one," Naluma said as she padded across the floor in her socked feet and took a mug. She sipped some of the piping hot beverage as steam wafted her face.

Relaxed for the first time in days, Luke led Naluma to the couch in front of the stone fireplace. He stirred up the embers before sitting beside her. Elevating their feet on the hassock, they watched the fire crackle and enjoyed the exhilaration of their Force-bond.

Naluma ran her fingers through his hair as she took a long draft from the mug. What are we going to do, Luke?

Luke wrapped his arm around Naluma's shoulders. I don't know. He sighed as he set his mug on the accent table. He's hurting so much, but I don't know how to reach him. He grabbed her hand and massaged it with his thumb. He's so hungry for attention, he'll take even negative attention ...

Naluma rubbed her eyes and yawned widely. I'm not even sure he knows what to do with positive attention anymore.

She rested her head on Luke, falling asleep in that position not long after. He placed her mug of tea on the end table and covered her with a blanket from the back of the sofa as Ben snored on the couch under the window behind him.

Anakin's words echoed in his head. Love ... it's what saved me. It will save Ben.

He kissed Naluma on the top of her head as he pondered how to show Ben that love without the boy pushing him away.

⊘ Luke turned his head when he heard Ben shuffle around 0730. When their eyes met, Ben meandered over and asked for permission to sit with a nod.

Master Luke responded with a nod and put his fingers to his lips. He whispered, "Good morning, Ben."

Ben sat in the overstuffed armchair, his back stiff and his leg bouncing. "Good morning." The bags under his eyes and the knots in his hair revealed the boy's discomfort.