97 - High as a F---ing Starship

He sings part of the song, his eyes welling up and his voice clouding over. He sings and laughs as he finishes, wiping his eyes and looking up to the sky. He keeps wiping his eyes and he cries for a little, Vienna putting her hand on his back.

"Thank you," he says weakly. "I'm sorry I'm always a mess around you. I'm normally a lot cooler, I swear."

"Sure you are," she laughs, making him grin. They stay a little longer. Erik tells her about how his midsemester exams went. They decide to head back, he stands and thanks her one more time.

"I know I'm only asking this because I'm as high as a fucking starship right now but before we go back... Maybe, just maybe you would let me kiss your cheek? It's pretty harmless. Pavel would never have to know... I doubt I would ever be stupid enough to ask again."

"I couldn't say yes to that, but I can promise you I'll comfort you again if you need it. If you decide to listen to your song again and want someone there with you."

He thanks her again and they walk back together in silence. He knew she'd never agree to let him kiss her but it still stings regardless. It's quiet when they get back and Hikaru's gone to bed. Selwyn's laying on some hay bales and Saxon's sitting beside him, asking about Kelzenone.

Pavel asks Erik if he's alright and he nods, wanting to get some sleep. Saxon plans to call it a night too and Selwyn mutters something about feeling unwell. Vienna comes over and asks him to sit up, shining the torch on his face to get a better look at it. His skin feels ice cold and she asks if that's normal and he nods, muttering about falling into a deep sleep. She remembers him telling her about it but she doesn't know what it actually means.

"I mightn't wake up until tomorrow night," he warns. "Don't freak out if I'm not waking up, okay?"

"When do I start freaking out?"

"If I start convulsing. Otherwise, I'm fine. Well, more or less. My ears are ringing, is that because of the cookies?"

"Shouldn't be..."

"Nevermind," he mutters, getting up quickly and stumbling away before heaving and throwing up. Vienna feels like that's not a good sign and follows him over. He throws up again and Vienna passes him a water bottle. He rinses his mouth out and groans.

"I've never done that before," he says moving her hair from his eyes. "They say Kelzenone stomachs are made of steel. We can eat just about anything with no issues but apparently edibles don't agree."

Vienna tells him to clean his teeth and go to bed. He listens, washing his mouth out again. Saxon asks Selwyn if he's okay and Vienna worries about her alien friend.

"Saxon, you should share a tent with him because Hikaru is already a sleep and I want someone to keep an eye on him for a little while. If anything weird happened just wake me up, okay?"

Saxon nods and heads into a tent with Selwyn. Vienna turns to Pavel and asks if he's ready for bed. He nods, taking her hand and thanking her for looking after everyone. She grins, climbing into the tent with him. He requests that at least one night they sleep under the stars. She loves the idea but for now, she just wants to sleep. She's sobering up and she just wants Pavel right there beside her.

Vienna has an awkward morning when she wakes up. She's fixing her shoe opposite Erik's tent and Hikaru asks Erik how he slept.

"Fantastic," he deadpans. "I dreamt about sleeping with my brother's girlfriend. You know, the usual." His tone is hugely sarcastic but she knows he's not kidding. She knows if she moves then Erik will see her and it will be substantially more awkward but before she can try and sneak away, Hikaru clears his throat awkwardly and gestures to Vienna.

"Oh fuck, you didn't hear that did you?"

She nods, her cheeks blazing a little.

"Breakfast?" Hikaru asks, trying to change the subject. Vienna nods and sits down, tying her hair back and not making eye contact with Erik. Saxon gets up next, disappearing into the bushes before returning back and taking a seat on one of the hay bales. He says that Selwyn hasn't done anything odd. He's been sleeping and cold, two good signs, apparently.

Pavel wakes up later and kisses Vienna on the head before taking a walk. He's too hungover to talk yet. He sits next to Vienna and rests his head on her shoulder.

"That's a bruise and a half there, Pavel," Saxon mutters, gesturing to Pavel's exposed neck. Vienna checks his neck and realises she's left a noticeable hickey, not intentionally. Hikaru smirks at them and Erik just rolls his eyes.

-----------

Pavel takes Vienna back into the city and they head towards his mother's house. They're glad to have a little time by themselves on the commute again. He keeps her close and they enjoy the streets of Russia. Pavel takes the chance to apologise for anything his mother says again. Though this time, he's the only one who can translate.

Pavel's mother, Dariya seems hugely excited to have them over. She pulls them both into a hug and pulls them in close. She tells them she has been busy cooking and they can smell all the food as soon as they're inside. Pavel asks her how she's been going and she gives him an update on everything she's been doing recently.

Vienna tries to follow along with the conversation but her Russian is still very limited. She picks up a few sentences and that's about it. Pavel pulls out a deck of cards and shuffles them in his hands, looking professional and making Vienna rolls her eyes. He deals them out and they play the game they did last time. Dariya wins the first two rounds and Vienna wins all the others.

"I don't get how you're so good at it," Pavel mutters. "I used to be unbeatable in this one and now I can barely win a game."

"Not jealous, are you?" Vienna jokes.

Pavel rolls his eyes but she figures it could still be the case.

"Jealous? My Pasha always jealous. Everything, he need to be very good at, or he will be jealous!" his mother says, making Vienna smile at her English. Pavel grumbles defensively in Russian and Dariya ruffles his hair. "Card games, study, running. Everything."

"I'm not jealous."

"You can be," Vienna notes, taking a sip from a glass of water.

"Excuse me?"

Dariya says something in Russian and Vienna watches Pavel rolls his eyes. He had a feeling he'd have this kind of experience visiting his mother.

They stay a few hours and share a meal together. They make it through the whole time without Pavel winning a single card game. He seems the slightest bit annoyed about it. His mother does interrogate him about his sex life and Vienna can only tell because Pavel goes red and refuses to answer anything his mother asks him. They're glad that Vienna had some makeup in he bag to cover up his hickey. Dariya changes tactic and asks Vienna in broken English. Pavel snaps at his mother and tells her not to be rude and ask personal questions.

The commute back is quiet. Pavel is a little drained from having to translate and he rests on Vienna's shoulder as they travel back. Everyone else is already back and they're gotten a head start on drinking. Pavel takes a few minutes to himself before trying to socialise again. He comes back out ready to drink and Vienna rolls her eyes at him. He isn't really in the mood for drinking and he just stays by Vienna's side.

After sharing a meal, Erik warns that the dogs are on their way over and Pavel asks Vienna if they can go for a walk. She likes the idea. She finds a torch and Pavel puts a picnic blanket under his arm. They hold hands and walk for miles and miles. Pavel insists they won't get lost but Vienna has her doubts.