Chapter 2 - All in Russian

"Argh, not again," I groaned loudly. I took a deep breath, and sat up. I washed my face and tried to push the thought out of my mind. It was the first day of classes. I pulled on the red cadets uniform and tied my hair up into a tight bun. I stared back at my really dark brown eyes and  freckles around the side of my nose. I was still freaking out a little about starting here. It was like the first day of high school all over again. I pulled on my shoes and shoved some fruit into my mouth for breakfast, wondering what else to do before class started. I double checked all my supplies and stood at the door. Slowly, I turned the handle, and stepped out into the bustling halls of the academy.

I found my first class room fairly easily after my little walk yesterday, but the campus was so big that it still took me a few minutes to get there. I was there a few minutes early, and to my surprise so was the Russian whiz kid. He had his head stuck in another book, but he was writing it this time. It looked like a diary or a journal of some kind. It was written in a mixture of both Russian and English from what I could tell. He looked up at me briefly and smiled curtly. He had a cute face, although you couldn't really see most of it from his springy curls falling near his eyes. I stood there awkwardly while more people started arriving outside the lecture hall.

The professor arrived, he looked like more of a mad scientist who belonged in a padded cell than he did a teacher. He had white fluffy hair and glasses, kind of like a mixture between Gandalf, Dumbledore and Doctor Emmet Brown. He smiled, "Fresh meat! How wonderful, shuffle on inside kids!" He gathered us all inside, saying thing like "Move along" and "While I'm still young" I took a seat inside, next to some of the other people I'd met yesterday. The Russian kid took a seat at the front of the seat, still scribbling in his book. The professor, who refused to tell us his name and just insisted we call him 'professor' started his lesson. I opened my notebook and started taking notes on what he was saying. His class was mainly emergency procedure and stuff like that.

The next class was another Star Fleet protocol, rules and things like how shifts work, and what we can do in our spare time. I paid close attention, but not to the lesson. To the Russian, he was still writing, but also doing other things too, like drawing and fiddling with his pencils. When the end of the lesson finally came, I was starving and so glad to be eating something. The cafeteria here was awesome. It had just about anything. I sat with the group from yesterday. I didn't have much in common with many of them, Damien was nice. He talked to me a lot, he was a lot more intelligent than he seemed. One of the other pointed the Russian out again. "What is he even doing?" One of them asked. I didn't say anything. "What's his name?" someone else asked, no one really knew. Someone nudged Damien, "Ask him what his name is." Damien shrugged. "Is he writing a diary?" one of the girls asked, laughing. A couple of the others laughed along. I smiled but didn't say anything.

"Hey you!" Damien called out. The Russian looked up from his book. He saw the whole group kind of beckoning him over and looked around him just to make sure they weren't talking to anyone else. He pointed to himself and mouthed, 'me?' We all nodded and he stood up and came over to us. Damien was the first to say anything, "Hey we never got your name?" The Russian smiled slightly, "It's Chekov, Pavel Chekov..." He muttered quietly. Damien nodded and extended his hand, "I'm Damien, have a seat." I moved over a bit and he sat on the end next to me. "Is it true that you're Russian?" Damien asked. Chekov nodded and smiled. Damien muttered a few words in Russian and Chekov smiled and replied something quietly back to him. I laughed watching the two. "What did you two say?" Damien smiled, "I just said that my name was Damien and I can't really speak Russian. And then I said let's drink some vodka." We laughed, Chekov was fairly quiet, but quite nice.

The next few days of classes were somewhat uneventful. Nothing interesting happened until lunch time. We were in the cafertia, and I was talking to Damien. Chekov was coming towards us carrying a tray of something, I couldn't quite see what. He was walking up behind Damien, and trying really hard to balance what he was holding. Someone from behind accidentally knocked him, and Chekov was sent tumbling to the ground. Half of his food (yogurt maybe) spilt through his hair and all over him. The other half flew straight onto Damien. Damien stood up slowly and turned around. The whole room fell silent. He glared at Chekov, sprawled out on the floor and trying to get the yogurt away from his eyes. "Hey what the hell?!" He yelled out. He obviously had a few anger issues or something. Chekov scrambled to his feet, "I'm so sorry I didn't mean to do that-" before he could continue, Damien cut him off yanking him upwards by his collar. "Listen Jerk-off if you ever do something like that again I swear I will kick your little Russian ass okay?" Chekov's eyes grew wide and Damien dropped him to the floor. Chekov gasped for air, and ran out of the room still covered in yogurt. Damien wiped some yogurt off himself with a disgusted look on his face. "Idiot..." He muttered under his breath. A few of the other people, in the group muttered some rude comments about Chekov, or 'Jerk-off' as they now called him. I sat there in shock for a few minutes just trying to process what happen. Damien had been a little more hostile to Chekov ever since they found at his name. It was weird and starting to make me uncomfortable.

I found a stupid excuse to leave t and head back to my room. Damien had at first seemed nice, but according to a few other people he was known for how fast he got angry. He probably wouldn't be the best security guard. When I got to my room I just read and studied for the rest of the afternoon. At one stage I decided to go and check on Chekov, just to see if he was alright. I knocked on his door and waited there awkwardly.
"Just a second!!" Someone called out, frantically almost. The door opened about 30 seconds later and Chekov appeared. "Oh hi!" He said, moving his hand around the back of his neck.
"Hi, I just wanted to see if you were alright? I'm sorry about what happened today, you really didn't deserve to be put through that..."
Chekov smiled. "Dah, it's fine. It vasn't your fault." I'd never really heard Chekov speak enough to notice his accent. He opened the door and allowed me in. His hair was drooping over his face, more so than usual. He must've washed the yogurt out of his hair and gotten it wet. It was kinda cute. He offered me a drink and sat down next to me.
"Whatcha been doing?" I asked, causally. His eyes sudden shot to the floor, and he pushed a flicker of white material into the sleeve of his cadet uniform.
"Not much, just studying..." He muttered. I nodded awkwardly. He smiled, "thank you for checking on me..."
"Umm it's fine, you're welcome." I answered, I really did hate how awkward I was in any kind of social situation.

Chekov was actually a really nice guy. His accent was absolutely hilarious, and cute to listen to and he actually said some really funny things. I looked at the clock, "Argh I have to go, I'm not meant to be in another guy's dorm room past 9:30." He nodded and smiled, saying goodbye. I left his room in deep thought, what was the white cloth? Maybe it was just none of my business...

The next day started out the same, I waited outside the class early and Chekov was already there. As soon as he saw me, he closed his journal and smiled. "Good morning Wienna," I internally cringed at how his accent butchered my name, but I smiled anyway and started talking to him. As more people gathered around, Chekov's voice became slowly quieter. When we entered the room, Damien walked past me shooting me a really dirty look. I just looked away, and sat down, next to Chekov this time. He seemed really happy to have me sitting next to me, looking at me and smiling awkwardly and then looking back away again. I thought he was just the cutest thing ever.

Chekov spent the entire lesson scribbling Russian in his diary. The professor just thought he was taking notes so he got away with it. By the end of the class, he had written around five pages in his journal, all in Russian. When the bell rang we walked out and I asked him what he was writing about. His eyes shot nervously to the floor. "Nothing much really..." He answered. He headed off to the cafeteria, and I headed off to my room, to put my books away and get some stuff out. As I turned a corner, a tall dark figure stood there. It was Damien. I freaked out a bit and took a few steps backwards. "Vienna, how nice to see you. We haven't talked much since you befriended Jerk-off." His voice was bitter, and cold. "His name isn't Jerk-off, it's Chekov..." I muttered. He snorted and rolled his eyes. "You should be very careful about who you choose to hang out with Vienna, you wouldn't want something bad to happen, now would you?" I took another step back, and he smiled wickedly. "I'll be seeing you Vienna." He smiled, walking away as if nothing ever happened.

Chekov smiled when he saw me, as he always did. On one hand he was so shy and timid, but on the other he was happy and cheerful. I sat down next to him and started eating. "Vhat took you so long?" I looked over at Damien, who shot me back a death stare. "Ran into some one..." I muttered. "They keep calling me Jerk-off... I don't like it, it's mean..." I sighed and offered him some words of comfort and he smiled.

I don't know how we ended up discussing it at the time, but it was one of those situations where someone said something and it just led to a certain topic. "I am a pretty skilled pick pocketer, I can rob you blind and you wouldn't even know it." Chekov rolled his eyes, "sure you can." I held up my wrist and pulled down my sleeve. "I think I am, you better keep a watch on me." He stared at his watch on my arm in disbelief. "How did you just..." He trailed off. Before he could do anything else, I placed his wallet, room keys, and phone on the table. He looked at me in total shock. He patted his pockets where the items were. "You just... But how?!" I grinned. He smirked, "I didn't ewen feel that..."

(Authors note)

Haha see what I did there with the watch pun? I thought it was good...

Anyways hope you enjoy and vote/comment

Feel free to have a look at my other works if you haven't already

^_−

Lucky