Chapter 3 - Red

Chapter 3 - Red

There was no bad dream that night, I wasn't completely sure when I woke up that I was actually awake. It was finally the weekend, the week had gone so quickly yet so slowly at the same time. I sat up looking around the room. I'd finished all my homework so I had no idea what to do. I was allowed to leave the premises on the weekend, so I decided to go shopping an get an ice cream to celebrate surviving the first week. I got dressed and had left the room within twenty minutes. We had to sign out from the office so I was heading there when I saw Chekov sitting out on a bench in one of the gardens. I crept up behind him, and looked over his shoulder at his journal. It was in English this time and I thought about reading it but that would be rude. So I scared him instead but shaking his shoulders and yelling "Rahh!!" He jumped and shut his journal really quickly. He turned around to see me smiling and breathed a sigh of relief. "Wienna, please don't scare me like zat.." I giggled and sat down next to him on the bench. "What are you doing today?" I asked him, watching him tuck his journal into his satchel. "Just writing, vhat about you?" I grinned at his accent, I loved it when he mispronounced words. "I'm going to go get an ice cream, I was going to ask if you wanted to come along?" He nodded happily and followed me to the reception. "I don't really know my way around the city, so I'll need your navigator skills" I said, watching him smile at my little joke. Sometime you don't really need words because a smile says a lot more than any words can.

We were in the middle of the city wandering around when I finally found a place that sold descent ice cream. I went to buy one but Chekov paid for it along with his own. He was so kind. "Thank you so much!" I exclaimed happily. It had been a long time since any guy was this nice to me. He just smiled curtly and sat down beside me on a bench. "Thank you for asking me to come with you, I don't normally get asked to go places with people..." I smiled, "you're welcome, but I should really be thanking you." He smiled and looked shyly at the ground.

"He called me Jerk-off again yesterday, and some other horrible things I can't repeat..." I sighed and watched his sad face state at the ground. "Chekov please don't be sad, they're just trying to upset you." He nodded and his bottom lip quivered slightly. "Are you alright?" I whispered to him softly. He muttered a soft, "yeah fine..." And stood up. "Where to now?" I asked looking around the busy shopping centre. He shrugged and I just started walking with him following closely. I was walking past a shop window when a really gorgeous red dress caught my eye. "It's beautiful..." I muttered. "Try it on," Chekov shrugged, "I'll wait here for you." I nodded and ran inside. They only had one dress left, and amazingly, it was my size. I tried it on and looked in the mirror. It was gorgeous. The top half was red and white stripped, with little red bows on it, and it came down to my knees. I took a step out of the change room and saw Chekov sitting on one of the seats, looking around the shop. I stepped out and spun around. "So, what do you think?" I said, spinning to a stop. "You look... beautiful..." He trailed off. His face suddenly went red and he looked at the floor. "I mean uh..." He didn't say anything else. He muttered some Russian under his breath, I found out other that it meant 'Chekov you moron!'

I bought the dress and left the shop with Chekov and his burning face trailing behind me. I smiled at him and put my arm around him playfully, but to be honest it just made him blush harder. "Chekov seriously calm down, it's fine alright?" He nodded awkwardly. I laughed and took my arm off him. "I heard that there's a bookshop somewhere round here, wanna go there?"

"Yeah," he smiled happily, walking with me.

On our way there, Chekov stopped me. "Hang on, zat's Damien look." Sure enough Damien and his group was walking further ahead of us. "They'll never shut up if they see us together..."

"Let's just go around, it's not like any of them will ever go into a bookshop..."

Chekov and I laughed and we just went the long way around. The bookshop was tiny, but it had a lot of good books. I was searching through a different area to him and found two nice books and bought them. Chekov came carrying about seven books. "This vill keep me busy to next veekend!" He smirked. I rolled my eyes.

"Thanks for coming with me today, it was really fun," I smiled, standing in my doorway.

"Yeah me too, thanks for inviting me," he said shyly, making eye contact with the ground again. We said our goodbyes and he left. I opened one of the new books and started reading it, and I'd read over 200 pages, but I fell I got really tired and my eyes slowly closed.

He held a shining piece of metal, a switchblade maybe... He reflected the moonlight of it, twirling the silver in his fingers. A tear fell from his eyes and onto the blade. He flicked it off. He held the blade near his wrist, where the were already some little red lines and other marks. He cried more, I tried to look away, to scream or to cry or to yell, but no sound escaped my mouth. The blade touched the skin, just lightly at first, but then slowly pierced through it, causing a red colour to spout from the room. Even thought it was dark, I could see it perfectly well. He withdrew the knife and he held the blade up to the moon. A single drop of blood fell from it, and as it hit the ground, my eyes shot open.

I was screaming when I woke up. Loudly, really loudly. There was a knock at the door. "Is everything okay in there?" An unfamiliar voice called out. "I'm fine sorry! Just a bad dream!" They muttered an 'ok' or something like that and left. That had been one of the worst nightmares I'd ever had. It was the same guy from the other dreams. It looked weirdly liked Chekov, but I pushed the thought out of my mind. I washed my face, trying to get rid of the nightmare, but it wasn't working. I kept thinking about Chekov and I didn't know why. "Don't be him..." I whispered to myself. I stuck some headphones in my ears to try and get rid of the thoughts. It helped, but not completely. I pull the headphones out of my ears.

"I'm gonna go talk to him about it," I convinced myself. "I'm going to go talk to him."

(Authors note)

Please enjoy!