84 - Freudian Slip

Selwyn decides to get up and go check on Erik and Hikaru calls it a night, taking Saxon with him. Vienna and Pavel lean against each other and smile.

"Thank you," she says, taking his hand. "Thank you. This has been amazing."

Pavel kisses her softly and for a few minutes, everything feels calm. His hand is tenderly on her cheek and the other is around her waist. They smile into their kisses, their lips feel so warm against one another and they shuffle just a little closer.

Erik and Selwyn reemerge and both stop when they notice the couple sitting on the couch. Erik shoots Selwyn a look and Selwyn just clears his throat. Vienna and Pavel separate and Erik just bites the inside of his lip. Selwyn can see the pained expression left in Erik's eyes.

"We might head off," Vienna says softly. She can see that Erik looks uneasy. She feels a little guilty for it. "I'm getting tired and Pavel needs to stop drinking."

"I do need to stop drinking," Pavel confirms, standing up a little unsteadily.

They gather their things and Vienna thanks Selwyn again for the cake. She thanks Erik for the shoes he made and she gives him a hug. He hugs her tightly and she wonders if it's friendly or not. Pavel mutters something in Russian and he lets her go, giving her a soft smile.

As soon as they're out of Erik' and Selwyn's dorm, Vienna starts asking questions. They go back to Pavel's room first, hoping they'll have the space to themselves. David isn't there and Vienna wants to know what was up with Erik. Pavel sits down first, still pretty intoxicated.

"It was this time of year that Jezzie passed. He's always like this for a few weeks. I guess seeing us as a couple is making it a lot worse for him. Plus your reference. I know that you didn't realise. He and Jezzie had this song. I don't think he has listened to it since but part of lyrics has something to do with getting called crazy, which Jezzie always did."

"I feel bad for bringing all that back up. I might talk to him about it once he's sober. What was it you said to him when he was hugging me?"

Pavel swallows. "I told him not to make it uncomfortable."

She sits down beside him and sighs.

"It's late. We need to go to bed, Pasha. It's past midnight, my birthday is technically over."

"I want to sleep with you, Enya," he mutters, standing up.

"You mean fall asleep?"

"Da, sorry yeah, I'm drunk. I'm not thinking straight."

"Did you say that just by accident or was it on your mind?"

He looks at her, realising what she's asking.

"It was on my mind," he admits. "I was thinking about it when we were kissing on the couch. I'm too drunk to try and deny it," he laughs. He disappears into the bedroom and Vienna follows, taking her jeans off and finding a pair of pyjama shorts. Pavel's struggling with his shoelaces and she gives him a hand, kissing his cheek.

Before they go to sleep, Vienna kisses Pavel and thanks him for the beautiful evening. She runs her fingers tenderly along his jaw and smiles. "You know, maybe if you weren't drunk and maybe if it were a month or two down the track... Maybe... But not tonight."

He mulls over the thought in his head, biting the inside of his lip as he realises what exactly she's talking about. He smiles at the thought as he drifts off to sleep.

Pavel wakes up with a headache and sex on his mind. He had a dream after their conversation last night and he wishes he could go to sleep for just a little longer to see how it ends. It's not the first dream he's had like that. He's had a few now and he writes them down in his journal but doesn't mention them to Vienna. She stirs beside him and he tries to go back to sleep, wanting to dream of her again.

"You look happy," she notes, watching him stare up at the ceiling with the faintest hint of a smile on his lips. "What are you thinking about?"

"I just had a nice dream," he mutters, his words muffled by a yawn.

"Was it related to our conversation last night?"

There's a silence.

"Maybe."

(Author's Note)

Sorry for cutting the conversation short but it's hard to get the chapters to the word lengths I want them to be.

ALSO

Angels (rewritten) has officially reached one hundred thousand words. Before I met that mark today I finally figured out how I want to end the story and it's scary to think that there's not long left to go. Thank you for sticking around to see my story grow into this better written version. This piece means the world to me, I'll be sad to finish it but I'm excited to complete the last leg of the journey.

Still a fair bit of story yet to go. Enjoy ♪