32 - Imbalance

Medbay is quiet. The same doctor from last time is near the entrance and he notices Pavel as he walks in.

"Medication's not helping?" He asks, to which Pavel nods. "Come back into my office and bring your girlfriend too. Vivian, was it?" He guesses, going to shake Vienna's hand.

"Vienna," she corrects, giving him a polite smile. "And you are Doctor...?"

"McCoy," he mutters, opening the office door for them. Doctor McCoy asks Pavel to sit on a biobed and he starts running a scanner probe over his head and frowning. He puts it down and takes out what looks like a hypo and asks for Pavel's arm, which he gives reluctantly. McCoy just takes his finger and pricks it, Pavel making a soft yelp in surprise. He tells Pavel to come back and take a seat as the results start to stream through on his PADD and he frowns.

"I can see why this is causing you problems," McCoy says, looking up at Pavel. "Have you been having mood swings?"

"Yes, very bad mood swings."

"Diet and sleep schedule been normal?"

"Diet has been normal, but I've had trouble staying asleep."

"Hmm," McCoy mutters. "This stuff is supposed to help balance out your hormone levels but all it's really done is increase production of the hormones that are making you emotional to begin with. I'm going to try you on a different one and see how it goes for you but I might decrease the dosage a little while we wait for this one to wear off. Now, that other spray that I gave you, have you had to use that?"

Vienna also knows the spray he's talking about and looks to Pavel, waiting for some sort of answer. "Da, yeah, quite a few times over the past few days," he says softly, avoiding any sort of eye contact with Vienna.

"But it has worked properly?"

Pavel nods and Vienna squeezes his hand under the table.

"Now," McCoy starts, sitting forward a little. "Vienna, have you been with him since he started on medication?"

"No," she says softly, feeling a guilt in the bottom of her stomach that she can't name. "I was visiting my family for a week. He's been pretty much alone the whole time."

"You haven't been seeing any other academy friends? A roommate? Are you in any clubs or anything?" Pavel shakes his head to all of them and McCoy raises an eyebrow a little. "That needs to change. I'm booking you in to come back in two weeks and by then, I want to see you join a club or make some friends or something. You need more than just the one person with you. It's a lot for Vienna to carry when things don't work out well. For her sake and for yours, you really need to start finding some more people to spend time with. I can send you the links to all the club options and I want you to find something that interests you."

Pavel looks a little uneasy at the thought but nods. Vienna can see just how stressed he looks and she feels for him, thanking the doctor as they go to leave.

"Vienna," McCoy calls, just before she heads out the door. "Can I speak to you for a minute?"

She nods and gives Pavel a soft smile before going in. She sits back down and McCoy looks a little concerned.

"I wanted to ask how you're coping with all of this. It wouldn't be easy on you dating someone like Pavel. Does he take out his emotions on you?"

Vienna is a little taken aback by the question but swallows, trying to think of an honest answer. "Well, it can be really tough sometimes... I worry about him. It's not common but he has gotten upset and frustrated at me before. He was before we came here earlier."

"And are you coping with that? I know you obviously care about him but you need to look after yourself as well."

"I'm managing. Normally everything is really good between us but there are just times when I have to question if I'm actually all that helpful to him."

"He needs someone like you in his life. You are probably a lot more helpful to him than you realise. He's lucky to have your support and you did the right thing in making sure he gets proper help."

"It took longer than it should have."

"But he's getting help now and that's the main thing. This new medication should be the right one. Feel free to come back if either of you are in need of help."

She smiles, glad that someone is looking out for her too. "Thank you, Doctor. I'll see you again sometime."

Pavel seems anxious when Vienna finally emerges. He's bouncing his leg and frowning, obviously deep in thought. She puts her hand on his shoulder and he looks up, his face relaxing a little when he sees her. They leave medbay in silence and Vienna wonders if she should be trying to talk to him. She takes his hand and he doesn't look up.

"Pasha? Are you alright?"

"I'm tired," he answers, in some honesty. He's drained and feels deflated, he can't of any real better way to explain it.

"I'll cook us something nice for dinner. You might feel better after a good feed."

"Thank you," he says softly, his eyes still cast towards the pavement.

Pavel falls asleep before Vienna can even start cooking. She lets him sleep, it's late afternoon and he probably needs a good rest. She joins him for a while and just buries her hand in his hair and starts reading the class content for the next few days. They start back soon and she wonders how Pavel will manage.