eighteen*

The surprise

I worked and worked and worked all night. All I could think of was Dally and his surprise.

At the end of my shift, I saw his figure walk towards the entrance of the diner and lean against the wall. Smoke drifted away from him every so often.

I smiled to myself and took off my apron. I let my hair fall down as I quickly changed in the bathroom. I grabbed the rest of my things and yelled a quick "bye Anne!" before I darted out the door to see Dally.

"What's the surprise?!" I asked way too excited.

He chuckled which made me go crazy. Man, his laugh is so cute.

"Calm down." He said, smoke escaping his lips. "Let's go." He motioned for me to walk with him.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you."

"Right." I said in embarrassment.

We kept walking.

A few minutes later, I remembered.

The drive-in.

Dally knew I loved the drive-in. The greasers and I used to always come here last summer. I honestly couldn't believe I hadn't been here yet this time around.

We walked towards the fence so we could sneak in. Then we made our way towards some chairs at the back where no one else was.

"Surprise." He said.

I giggled. "It's the best surprise ever. Thank you Dally." He nodded wrapping his arm around my shoulder walking towards the back of the drive in.

I had this feeling inside of me. It was like I needed Dally to know how I really felt even though I felt like he already did. I just wanted to reassure him.

"Dally..." I got his attention.

"This could really fuck things up but I'm just going to say it." I sighed and sat up straight. I looked into his beautiful black eyes.

"Dallas Winston, I like you. Like a lot." I laughed at myself. His face went blank and I knew I had messed it all up. I shouldn't have said anything.

I looked down in embarrassment. He still hadn't said anything which made me nervous so I grabbed my things and stood up.

"Damn I really fucked that up. I'm just gonna go." I sighed.

He grabbed my arm which stopped me. I smiled to myself.

Nope, he likes you too.

He pulled me closer to him and kissed me. It was very passionate but soft. His lips are like a pillow. We moved in sync. I dropped my things then rested on top of him.

After a few moments, we heard some people laughing.

"Get a room!" Pony yelled.

Dally pulled away and I laughed. He pulled me off of him and almost ran after pony but I stopped him.

"Let's go." I said, walking the other way.

-

He walked me to my doorstep. I told him I was okay walking alone but he insisted because he didn't want any trouble with the Socs where I'd get hurt or anything.

"Thanks for the surprise." I wrapped my arms around his waist and he nodded.

I moved in closer to him and looked up at his face. Being short wasn't the best with tall guys but i couldn't do anything about that.

He leaned down and kissed me again. Just a small one this time.

"I don't really do the whole relationship thing." He said.

My heart sank. Was this all for nothing then?

"But Maria, I like you." He smiled, embarrassed. "Wanna be my girl?"

I giggled at how cheesy this was. Then I thought I'd make him sweat a little.

"Let me check my schedule." I joked. His face went blank. "I'm kidding. Yes." We kissed one more time and he was off.