twenty six*

1 month later...

I sold the house. The house where me and Dally made our memories. The house I matured in. The house I had the most fun with the greasers.

I decided to go to university in New York. It would be best for me to stay away for longer than just 9 months like I've been doing for the past two years.

All the boys showed up at my house and helped me pack my things. All showed up except Dally.

While I stood in my bedroom remembering me and Dally's memories, I had hoped he'd at least come and say goodbye. Just having his presence will make saying goodbye easier. But I knew he wouldn't come. He doesn't do goodbyes.

"Hey M." I wiped my tears, not wanting anyone to see my cry. "It's okay to cry."

"Thanks Soda."

He gave me a hug. "I'm gonna miss you."

I managed to mumble a "you too".

We sat down on my floor. "So you gonna finally tell me what happened that night?" He asked.

I shook my head. Within the past month, Soda and I have been closer than ever. We both have never related to each other more with our breakups. We've bonded as friends and became so close again.

"I can't think about it right now. Just leaving is making me emotional enough. I just wish he'd come and say goodbye." I looked down in defeat. I was so hurt.

Soda came closer and hugged me tighter.

I decided it was time for me to head off to the airport. I needed to let go of this town so I can look back and remember the good times, not the bad.

I hugged all the guys one at a time.

"I'm gonna miss you guys so much." The tears didn't stop for me.

"We'll miss you more." Ponyboy said.

"Please come back and visit." Jonny begged.

"I'll try. You guys can always come and visit me too." I smiled.

Steve and Darry hugged me. "See ya kid."

"Thank you for keepin me in place." Two Bit joked.

Last of all, Soda. He embraced me in a hug. "I'm going to really miss you this time Maria."

"I'll miss you too."

I said one final goodbye before getting into the car. I started the engine and waved before putting the car in reverse.

"Wait!" Ponyboy yelled.

I stoped the car and put it in park. I got out to see Dally standing on the sidewalk.

"We'll let them be." Darry said as the boys followed him inside the house.

I sighed. It was the first I had seen Dally in a month. I was nervous and I felt like the tears were going to come back.

"Hey Dal." I broke the silence.

"Hey." He was so quiet. "I'm sorry for everything. Please don't leave."

"I have to. I need to let go Dally. This environment isn't healthy for any of us. I need to forget what happened a month ago. It's taking over my mind and body." I explained.

"Maria, that night was a mistake."

"You're right, it was."

Flashback

I opened the last door.

I regret doing it. My heart sank immediately. My mind was drowning. I honestly wasn't sure if what I was seeing was real.

My first instinct was to leave. But I couldn't get the vision out of my head.

I couldn't imagine why Dally was with someone else when he was supposed to be with me.

Seeing him half naked with that girl who I soon found out was Alex killed me. I felt a shock of pain run through my body.

He tried to get a hold of me but nothing was worth it anymore. I'm not sure if I even wanted to see him. I'm not sure if I could.

All I knew is that I needed to get away. The relationship was toxic at this point.

End of flashback

When I remembered what happened, I could've had a mental breakdown.

"Maria I'm so sorry. We can work this out." He came closer to me.

"No. I can't even look at you without thinking of your hands all over her." I cried. "Why did you do it?"

"I was drunk and-and-"

"That's not a good excuse." I couldn't look him in the eyes. "I need to go."

I turned back and started walking and he grabbed my hand stopping me. Just for a second it felt like when he was in the hospital bed. I knew he didn't want me to go but I did anyway and I should've stayed. Maybe if I stayed that night, things would be different now. But they're not.

I turned around and looked at our hands locked together. I wanted to jump in his arms and kiss him. I wanted to go back in our house and lay in bed all day together. I wanted him to tell me that everything was going to be okay. But even if these things happened, everything could get worse. This environment isn't good for either of us.

I looked into his eyes for the first time in a full month. I saw the small light of hope. I didn't see the cold eyes he had when I first came here, I saw the light that I gave him. The light that someone else needs to keep ignited because I couldn't anymore.

I unlocked our fingers. He shed a tear. One single tear.

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

"I know." I whispered back. "Bye Dally."

I walked back to my car and started the engine. There he stood at the end of the driveway with his single tear falling down his face. I backed out of the driveway and drove towards the exit out of town as tears streamed down my face.

I didn't know when I'd see Dally again.