twenty seven*

4 months later...

Knock knock knock

"Grayson?"

"Hey M." He stood at the door smiling.

What the hell?

"What are you doing here?" I was so confused.

"Here to see you. Could I come in?" I let him in my apartment.

"Want anything to drink?" I asked.

"Just water." I was shocked. Water? Grayson has never just asked for water.

I walked to the kitchen and opened the fridge to grab a water bottle. I handed it to him when I walked back to the living room.

"So what are you really doing here?" I asked again.

"I know I already talked to you about having another chance but I really wanted to see you. I miss you. I've quit drinking and smoking." He confessed.

I sat down on the couch and he plopped down next to me. I sighed and thought for a second. It didn't make sense. Did he just mature?

"Wow that's great! Congratulations." I smiled and he smiled back.

"Thanks."

We spent the rest of the afternoon catching up. We talked about so many things. The greasers and Socs called a truce, all the Socs have grown up and most have gone to college or started working. The greasers are still one big family.

I still wondered why he didn't mention Dally. I always wondered what he did after I left. Did he turn cold again? Or did he find new love? Or did he stay the same?

I worry about him sometimes. Even though he doesn't like to admit it, he does better with someone else. He needs someone to take care of him. He needs someone to rely on and hold on to.

I didn't feel like I wanted to know what happened to him, I felt like I needed to know.

"Grayson, I think I should go back for a few days."

His face went blank, he was confused.

"Why?"

"I just need to clear things up. The way I left Dally wasn't the best for either of us and I just need to work things out so I can fully move on." I said all in one breath.

I didn't know how I'd feel about it when I got there. But I decided then and there that I was going back to Oklahoma.