two*

I missed you

I stopped in my tracks. I faced away from him and took a deep breath before turning back around and walking to meet him. I crossed my arms by the time we stood face to face.

"Soda..." I didn't know what to say to him. it turned out a bit awkward.

He grabbed my hand and held it, admiring my eyes I did the same for his ocean blue eyes. I could see how soft he was through his eyes, something I never noticed before.

"I missed you." He smiled. I nodded in response.

"After you left, I didn't know how to feel. I didn't know how to cope with knowing that I wouldn't see you everyday." He sighed. His eyes drifted downwards towards my shoes while I stayed silent, still looking into his eyes.

"And look at you now. You're like a completely different person." He scanned me several times from head to toe.

"I'm not different. New clothes doesn't make me a different person." I stated getting frustrated. I pulled my hand away from his grip.

"You're with someone new, Soda." I pointed out. "I haven't been with anyone since you. No one could compare." I backed away a bit looking down in embarrassment. He stood there with a slight grin on his face that he tried to hide by biting his bottom lip.

"How long have you and Sandy been together?"

"Couple of months." He said it so quietly that I could barely hear.

"I-I-" I stuttered trying to find the right words to say. "I need to go. Tell Two-Bit I'm back home." I ran the opposite direction towards Keith's house.

"Wait! Maria!" He yelled, but it was no use. I wasn't turning back.

Those words hurt. Knowing he'd been with another girl for so long. I'm sure that his thoughts of me faded away soon after things ended between us.

I stopped running and started walking. My thoughts circled Sodapop over and over again during my walk home. I just couldn't stop thinking about him.

When I entered the house, a sweet vanilla scent filled my nose. It reminded me of back home. my home in Texas always smelled like vanilla.

I walked into my new room and started unpacking my bags into the closet and drawers. It took about an hour to complete most of my unpacking. I grew tired so I decided to finish the rest tomorrow and head off to sleep.

My mind filled with the greasers but mainly Soda. I had replayed me and Soda's conversation countless times. Mid-thought I fell asleep in the soft, warm bed.

-

BOOM

I woke up from being startled. A loud nagging noise like a drum appeared. I sat up in bed and looked at the alarm clock next to me.
2:17AM
I groaned in tiredness.

Then I heard it again.

BOOM

Was there someone out there? What the hell is that noise?

I had thought that maybe the boys were playing a prank on me so I went to go check. Just in case it wasn't the gang I grabbed the baseball bat that rested on the wall of the hallway while I walked towards the front door slowly.

Taking one small, slow step at a time, I got closer and closer to the door.

Finally, I reached for the handle. I slowly twisted it with my left hand while my right held the bat, ready to swing at someone.

The door flew open. I swung the bat and screamed like a little girl. I couldn't tell who it was for the darkness of the house shadowed the face but not the figure. It was a male. All I knew was that the man had caught the bat before I could hit them.

I quickly flipped the light switch, scared for my life.

No words left my mouth for the sight I just saw.