Chapter 56 - Goodbye

"Who needs a perfect nose when I make up for it elsewhere? You remember that, don't you?" he asked me. I struck out with the but of my gun, catching him in the face. I didn't wait to see the damage before I turned and ran. Taking every chance to get behind an object as I continued to run to the ramp.

Suddenly something wizzed passed my ear and hit the object next to me. I heard it embed itself in the wall as I continued my way passed. I hit the ramp and ducked down, running with my knees bent. There was a sharp pain in my shoulder, growing as I ran around the end of the ramp. Tears sprung to my eyes as I hid around a wall.

I watched as Newman slowly made his way towards where I was hiding. I felt the panic rising in my chest. I was going to die here, and I was going to die by the hands of the same man that raped me. Marcus and my father were not going to be able to save me this time.

I went to raise my gun, to show any ounce of courage that I could, but I didn't get to it before Newman was leaning over me, his hand pressing against my left shoulder. I cried out, stopping myself when I remembered the civilians that were in this game as well.

"I am going to enjoy every second of this," he whispered to me, dragging me onto my feet and in front of him as we walked out. There was a flash of light in front of me and I recognized the green light coming from the gun. I felt Newman's right hand bring up his weapon and the man in front of me fall. I screamed out, squirming against Newman, not caring about my shoulder anymore.

I threw my head back, making contact with his face and forcing his grip to loosen. I ran forward, searching for anyone and suddenly this arena felt too big. The music was too loud for me to hear anyone approaching, and I saw again and again my vest light up but I didn't care. I could only hope that the gun didn't deactivate.

Finally I found a blue vest, and I ran towards it. My foot tripped over something and I came face to face with a blank face. Screaming, I shot to my feet and continued moving forward. I pushed the tears out of my face, running towards the vest before feeling another tearing through my other shoulder.

I felt my body falling towards the ground before strong hands grabbed me. I looked up into the eyes of my father.

"Newman," I got out before I felt another bullet, this time in my back. I didn't feel the same pain and remembered that my vest would protect me. My father pulled me by the top of my vest, bringing me around a wall. I heard people opening and closing the door, the music cutting out and the sound of people screaming.

"What happened?" he asked me frantically.

"Two shots. In my shoulders. Go. Please. Go," I said between breaths. I saw the conflict behind his eyes as he propped me up against one of the walls. I could hear feet approaching and pushed him away as much as I could. "Go," I whispered.

"Stay here. Keep your gun pointed at all time. Try to ignore the pain and keep your gun up," I grunted as my shoulders were moved. I felt the moisture on my face, dripping down to underneath my shirt. I tried to slow my breathing. Tried to keep my eyes open and alert.

I looked as my father disappeared. I tried to hear as best as I could. There was no more music. Nothing but the small sounds of guns going off and feet moving. I pushed up on the wall, gritting my teeth.

"Roseilin!" I heard the voice of Marcus. I wanted to call out to him, but I was finding it hard to do anything but basic body functions. "Roseilin!"

Suddenly, there was light in front of me and hands grabbing my legs. I screamed out, trying to kick the person that had me but I wasn't able to do anything. He brought me to the middle of the arena where there were almost no walls to hide behind. My father was there, on his knees with a gun held to his head. I didn't recognize the man holding it.