Chapter 20 - Lights, Camera, Action

"He cooked for you?" Marissa and I were sitting on the floor of her room figuring out how we were going to make the makeup seem believable. We had already watched close to ten videos on youtube and were now playing around with it on our arms for testing purposes. 

"Yeah," I said, smiling to myself as I mixed purple over the yellow already on my arm. 

"He hasn't cooked since Leila," she remarked. A small butterfly rooted itself inside my heart, and I kept silent for a while as we continued. 

"I still can't believe that it all worked," I finally said. Marissa smiled at me. She was in the most comfy clothes I think I had ever seen her wear: leggings and a cream sweater. 

"I can. You're such a strong woman, Roseilin. You're probably the only kind hearted girl that has the ability to handle someone like my son."

"I don't know what else to do at this point. I know he put the first wall down and he trusts me enough to not be an ass all the time, but that doesn't mean he is ready for a relationship."

"My son doesn't go around kissing people for no reason," my cheeks reddened. Sometimes I could talk to Marissa like she was my best friend, but at the end of the day, she was the mother of my somewhat boyfriend? 

Once we decided what was going to work, Marissa started working on my face. I didn't watch her in the mirror. I knew this was a better option than letting someone beat me up, but I was also worried that there might be something to show my father that it was all fake. 

"Marissa?" I asked. She hummed her response, "who is going to be down there?"

She thought for a moment, "I don't know. I wouldn't think too many people, but we need to have someone at least take the pictures, and someone else make sure everything looks okay."

I nodded my understanding and went back to being quiet. Marissa hummed to herself as she worked, and I thought for a moment how someone could be so okay with what she was doing, but I guess that was what happened when you married a gang leader. 

That's when I thought about how little I had really seen of these gangs. I knew the guys went out a lot, and when they came back they always went straight for a shower. I couldn't help but remember when Newman had come back, wiping blood off with a paper towel. Did the Theins do that?

I would be lying to myself if I had faith they didn't. I thought back to the first day I had been kidnapped. Newman had told Marcus that it was only his father that protecated him, and as soon as we turned onto Thein property, the tail behind us left. Did my father have anything to do with the fearful reputation the gang had received?

There was a knock on the door and Robert entered. He walked up and gave his wife a kiss on the cheek and then looked at me. He held a think but big box in his hand.

"This is yours, Miss. Nathelee," he said. I grabbed the box from him and he immediately exited the room. Opening the lid, I took a deep breath as I looked to see a black lace balcony bra with a matching thong. I closed the top of the lid and continued to let Marissa finish what she was doing with a growing feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. 

"There, I think that is the last of it," I heard Marissa say. I nodded and went to the bathroom where I changed into what Robert handed me. I didn't look in the mirror until I had finished, and tears came to my eyes as I looked at the site of myself. 

Marissa had made it so that I had a black eye and a cut lip. There was some crimson lipstick mixed with cotton in my right eyebrow. A bruise spread across the bottom right part of my chin. I turned on the sink and wet my hair, ringing it out and leaving it looking somewhat disheveled. I never saw what I looked like that day, but I was sure it looked something like this. 

I wrapped a towel around myself as I walked back into the room. 

"We should probably add a bruise right on my ribs, for old times sake," I said quietly. Marissa nodded her understanding and I released the towel only low enough so that she could work where she needed to. 

"Okay, I think this is the best we are going to get," she finally said. I nodded and gave her a small smile. She gave me a hug, carefully not to touch my rib.

"You're so brave," she told me. 

"I'm just doing what needs to be done." She pulled away and grabbed a short silk robe and handed it to me. I wrapped myself so that I could at least be decent when I was walking down to the basement. 

We walked down together, and I absentmindedly searched the hallways for Marcus. I wasn't sure if he was going to be down there. I wasn't sure if that was what I wanted. All I knew was that I was going to have to let myself be chained up again and taken photos of in a bra and underwear. 

"Roseilin," Robert said as we reached the spot in the basement. "Just in time. We have everything ready." The way he was acting like all of this was some kind of business deal kind of made me angry. I knew that to him this wasn't real, but I had felt this before when it could have ended much worse if Marcus hadn't shown up. I was going to be put into every element of it and then taken pictures of. 

Marissa gave me one last good luck hug and then stood next to her husband. I looked around to see who else was there. The lady from before, a man with a camera, and the Thein parents. Marcus was no where to be seen. 

I slowly took off the robe, already feeling panic as I had a flash of the shower at the Newmans. I forced myself to control my breathing as I stepped forward and put myself in front of the chains that were on the wall. Robert made a move to come forward, but Marissa stopped him and walked towards me instead. 

She kneeled down in her skinny jeans and blouse and began to fasten the chains on either one of my wrists. Before she left, she kissed my forehead and stood. I continued to look at the ground. 

Robert walked to the machine that would crank the chains back and I let them. I was knelt on the floor with both of my feet to the left of me and my arms held above my head. Suddenly, all other lights in the gym went out and only the dim LED behind the fake window remained. I couldn't see anyone, not even if the photographer. 

"Good, now lean forward a little so that the chains are holding you up. Your body is tired and you are using them to keep you up. Good." I did as he asked, leaning my body forward like I would if I couldn't hold myself up. There was a bright flash and I winced. "Good, a little less of a reaction would be good but you can have some. Squint a little like your disoriented."

I knew that I was heard what he was saying because every couple of bright flashes I would move my body in some way and the bright lights would return, but I couldn't really remember anything for any point in time. I was so immersed in the dread in my chest. I was half naked in a basement. Even if I wasn't in any sort of danger, the sheer thought that everyone could walk away right now made my heart quicken. 

Suddenly there was a hand under my chin, jerking it up roughly. I yelled out of shock and fear, and the light of the camera bounced across us again, closer than it had been last time. My retinas were burning.

"Robert!" I heard Marissa say, but she didn't come to help me. I guess they were right when they said that my father was the only person that had emotion out of the two of them. I glared up at where I thought his face might me. 

"Good! Oh such a good one! I think that's everything you need, sir," the cameraman said. My chin was dropped and I heard Robert walk away, but not before saying something to me. 

"Good work, Nathelee."

N/A  I hate Robert at this moment. Oh my god seriously all my hate goes to this man. Anyways, I thought that the girly moment between Marissa and Roseilin in the beginning was nice. I would imagine a mother that has been feeling the guilt of hurting her son would be happy to hear news like this, and Roseilin is happy as well. 

On the subject of Robert, what do we think about how he acted?

Did he have the right?

Let me know what you guys think of everything. Love you! :)