Chapter 30 - Cut The Brakes

We followed in line for at least two hours before there was a mention of stopping. The entire time I couldn't help but think about my father and what he might be going through, and keeping my mind away from the idea that he was bleeding and broken was harder than forcing my body not to breathe. But throughout the drive I found small ways to keep my mind at ease. I would try and find a sign with the letter A, and then the letter B, and C, D, E, F and so forth. And then I would do the same with the number line. I stopped at 600. 

There was a beep that sounded through the car, almost waking a snoring Liam in the back. I looked over to see Marcus hit the green cell phone on his dash and three squeakier beeps let us know the call was connected. 

"Yes?" Marcus said. I wasn't surprised to hear no emotion in his voice. On the few occasions that I had heard him around his father, or even around Liam, it was nothing but business. His father answered in the same manner.

"I just called Lukas in the first car and let him know that we need to take the next exit. The shop is barely a mile down the road on the right. Keep your eyes open for it."

"Okay," Marcus said, reaching for the red phone but pausing when Robert continued. 

"Is Roseilin awake?" I turned my head at the mention of my name. 

"Yes," Marcus replied. 

"Is she...okay?" he sounded unsure as he left his last word hanging in the air. 

"I'm fine," I replied, trying to match their tones the best that I could. 

"Okay," Robert said, and then there were another three lower pitched beeps to signal the disconnect of the call. Marcus looked over at me but I just kept gazing out my window. He was going to ask me what that was about, and I didn't have an answer to give him.

Less than five minutes later we pulled into what looked like a dirty, low priced mechanic shop. I closed the door behind me, letting the rare blue sky give me the warmth of the sun as I looked around the property. There were tires everywhere, and bits of what looked like ground up metal and glass on the pavement. I carefully stepped around them, not wanting to get anything through my shoe. 

Marcus and Liam on the other hand walked straight through it all, although they wore thicker boots than I did. Marcus walked around to the trunk of the car and opened it up, grabbing two leather jackets and a red one that looked more form fitting. He threw one of them at Liam and the red one at me. When I caught it in my hand, my arm was shocked at its weight, but I managed not to drop it. 

Liam was already pulling his over his body as Robert and Marissa got out of their car. Lukas brought them their jackets, as well as his and his partners who was a man I had never seen around the house. I was somewhat surprised to see that Lukas was with us. He hadn't been present around the house since the first night that I was there, making it difficult not to forget that although his sister didn't like the way that the house was run, Lukas was okay with it. 

Marissa pulled her red leather jacket over herself at the same time I did, and we followed the boys into the shop. If I had thought that the outside was nasty, the unwashed floors covered in oil, dirt, and other substances I couldn't name claimed the prize. 

Robert walked up to the front desk where no one even waited for customers. There were glass walls on the left side that showed two men working on cars, but only one of them 'cleaned' their hands off on their rags and came to the door. 

"Bobbie!" he yelled, assumingely at Robert. Robert shook his hand, but I didn't ignore it when he wiped his hand on his jeans. 

"Hey, Ryan."

"Emmy, baby," Ryan said to Marissa, going in for a hug although Marissa put her hand on his chest to stop it. Ryan mocked hurtfulness. "When are you ever going to let me hug you, after all you've done for me."

Marissa cracked a smile, "When are you ever going to take a shower?" she asked playfully. Ryan shrugged it off and went back behind the counter. 

"I see Marcus and Lukas have grown since the last time we saw each other. Must've been six years ago when they were begging to learn how to ride!"

"And that must've been the same time that you cut the brakes on mine," Marcus told him with a smirk.

"Oh, I knew you didn't want to go slow. Who needs brakes anyways?" I opened my eyes wide at Marcus, but he just shrugged it off with a smile. He leaned down to my ear.

"Ryan got caught up in one of the gangs about ten years ago. Our fathers got him out of trouble so now he does us favors whenever we need them," he explained. "He's harmless," Marcus added at my still troubled expression. I scoffed, not thinking for one second that a machine with brakes could ever be the work of someone harmless, but I decided to keep my mouth shut.

"It's nice to catch up, Ryan, but we need to get going," Robert said.

"Where ya guys headed?" Ryan asked excitedly. "Right, no questions for the big Boss man," Ryan said, rummaging through a couple of things on the desk. "I'm guessing you're here for the rides out back then, eh?"

Robert nodded, causing Ryan to come back up with a couple of papers, "I figured. Just sign here so that I have proof that I didn't decide to steal them and that there really are people using them, and then you people can be on your way!" It was almost impossible not to ride on Ryan's energy, and I found myself even excited to get on one. I wasn't even sure what we were going to be taking, I just knew that every day bicycles were not going to get us there fast enough. 

Robert quickly signed the papers, under false names I was sure, and followed Ryan out back. Lukas and Marissa walked after them, Liam, and then Marcus and I who slipped his fingers through mine. 

"We're riding those?" I asked as we stepped outside. Lined up neatly were five ATV's and five dirt bikes. Marcus grinned at me, letting go of my hand and grabbing two helmets. He handed me the red one, of course, and then slipped the black one of his head. The others were already mounting theirs. 

"Marcus, I've never driven one of these before," I said to him as we made our way over. 

"That's why you're riding with me," he said. He walked up to a large dirt bike, getting on and laughing at my expression as I stood there, terrified. "You said you wanted to come. You can either get on the back of this and trust me, or we can leave you here with Ryan."

I looked back to see Ryan waving energetically at Robert as Robert started his motor and began to drive off. I quickly mounted the bike and wrapped my arms around laughing Marcus. He quickly shoved his foot down and the bike roared to life. I slipped my feet on the small foot holders as I felt my body jolt backwards and the bike follow obediently under Marcus's control. 

N/A  I have driven ATV's for basically my entire life and quick funny story, my father was teaching me how to ride once when the brakes stopped working and me, being like 5, went to look at my foot wondering why it wasn't braking which made my thumb push harder on the gas. My father was right in front of me and I can't even describe how close I came to hitting him. 

Anyways, thank you for reading and sticking with it guys. What do we think about everything so far? Love y'all <3 :)