Chapter 55 - I'm Going To Fix This

Inside the course there were two different levels and all together it looked to be a room 75 ft by 100 ft. It was enormous. I couldn't see straight across the space, however, because of the large obstructions in the shapes of triangles and squares, covered in the same paint as before. 

"Go to the top floor," my father told me. "I want you as far away from these men as possible. Pick a space with a corner where no one can sneak up on you. You keep the laser on so that no one thinks that you have the gun. Once you are set, look for Marcus and I. When we are in position, turn on your cell. Then we wait." 

I nodded, giving him a tight hug as well as Marcus. I was about to leave when I turned, ignoring whatever my father was going to say, and gave him a deep kiss. 

"Stay safe," I said, turning and finding the ramp that lead to the second floor. The space was tighter and allowed for more things to hide behind. I walked halfway and found a spot where there was only one entry point and a space to look out. The second floor was like a liner, almost like how the second floor of a mall works but without the stores on the sides. 

I looked down, seeing the light of Marcus's gun moving slowly through the course, like he was scouting. I saw my father's light, steady behind one of the obstructions closer to the door. I checked back over at Marcus who was now staying in one spot. 

I grabbed my phone out of my back pocket, holding the power button until I saw the apple button display on the screen. In the dark room, I was brought to a new appreciation to the switch apple had made where the apple was white and the rest of the screen was black. No more assault to my eyes. 

I watched as the screen came to life. I didn't bother to put my password in as there were no notifications. I slid the phone back into my back pocket but didn't get too far before I felt a buzz. I didn't recognize the number the text was from until I put my password in and my phone matched it to my contact for Marissa. 

I know what happened

Then.

Don't trust anyone.

Then.

Robert just left right after you guys. Please, I know that you are keeping your phone off for safety,  but I need you to know that I had no idea.

Lastly. 

I'm going to fix this.

I stared at my phone screen, taking in the information as I waited for the men to see my phone signal. What did Marissa mean when she said she was going to fix this? She had said that Robert had already left, but that didn't mean that she had come as well. How was I going to tell Marcus?

I wanted to move from where I was, but I also knew that my father wanted me to stay in a corner. I had just turned on my cell phone. I could run to where Marcus was and make it back before they came here. I started to make my way over, but as I made it to the bottom of the ramp, I realize that I didn't have the vantage point that I had before and I couldn't remember exactly where Marcus had been standing. 

I slowed down, raising my gun up even though it wasn't turned to the actual gun. I heard the door open and close, ducking behind a wall and looking over to see who had come in. Their laser was green and I let out a sigh, pushing my hand around my neck and returning to looking for Marcus. 

"What the hell, Roseilin," a hand grabbed me from my waist and pulled me behind a wall. I saw Marcus looking down at me, anger written across his face as he looked down at me. 

"Before you get all angry, look at this," I said, bringing my phone out of my pocket and unlocking it. It took only a few seconds for his face to change from anger to concern. 

"When did she send these?" he asked. 

"I don't know," I said, putting the phone back and gripping the gun again. "it uses the time that it delivered to my phone which wasn't until I turned it back on. It hasn't been on for around 24 hours now."

Marcus let out a harsh sigh, "Okay, go back to where you were. We don't know how close his men have been to us. I want you in that corner and I don't want you to move for any other reason."

I nodded, turning back on Marcus and making my way back to where I had been before. Settling in, I kept my eyes on the door. I could see a couple people making their way through the corse and even shooting each other. With every light up vest came a panic attack that rendered me motionless for a second. 

I let out a sigh before the door opening again brought my attention back. At first it looked like normal people until I noticed the pattern at which they were spreading up. I saw one of them making their way towards where Marcus was sitting still and my heart beat climbed into my throat. 

"Come on baby, he's right there, don't-" suddenly the the lights of the gun dropped to the floor and I saw the tiny beam of a red light lingering around the area before Marcus moved to bring the body where someone wouldn't find it. 

"It's begun," I whispered to myself. I scanned the rest of the people that were scuttling around, counted 9 that had the red beam that came from their guns. I brought my gun down, not allowing anyone to see the light of the gun as I scanned for where my father was. I couldn't pick him out from the people looking around. 

Suddenly I noticed another light jerking suddenly and then being dragged into a different location. Then my eyes were brought to where I saw lights coming up the ramp to the second floor. I realized then how close I was to the ramp and chastised myself for not finding the corner all the way in the back. There was no way that I could completely hide the light from my gun, so I only popped my head beside the hole to study his gun. 

I raised my gun, waiting for his vest to come into view as I pulled the trigger. 

"Awww come on," I heard the man say as he trudged away. There was a thirty second window where he wouldn't be able to shoot back, and I took the time to get out of my spot and move further into the back of the building. I couldn't help but feel like I was running from the fight, but my father and Marcus were right - I had almost no training in this field. I had picked up a few guns in my months with the Theins, but nothing extensive. 

I felt my lungs beginning to burn as I continued to run. I stopped on the side of the wall, breathing heavily as I realized that I was thousands of feet above what I was used to. The air was thin, and my lungs weren't use to breathing it. 

Suddenly, there was a red light on my vest and I dropped to the floor. I crawled to an enclosed shape and looked out to the left. Seeing nothing, I shifted to the right where I was met face to face with Newman. 

"Well, how nice to see you again, my dear," I heard him drawl. He went to step closer but I raised my gun, switching the switch and seeing my laser turn red. Newman smiled, holding his hands up in mock surrender. 

"Yep, you still need a nose job," I said through gritted teeth.

N/A  Almost to the end of the book guys! One more chapter and you know it all ends. I looked up and realized how long the chapter was (almost 3,000 words) so the reason this chapter is a bit shorter is there was really only one good way to split it. Before you move onto the next chapter, leave a comment on the chapter! Anything is helpful :)