Chapter 52 - Laser Tag

Marcus pulled into the parking lot of the laser tag building, putting the car into park as we looked at the tan stone and the large lot. 

"I cannot believe we are going to do our stand down while playing laser tag!" I squealed excitedly, undoing my seat belt and climbing out of the car.

"Stand down?" Marcus asked as he closed the driver's side door and walking to the front of the car.

"You know? Like in the movie where the badass ninjas battle the bad guys and win?" 

"And in this situation, are we the badass ninjas?" Marcus asked me, pulling me into a hug when I laughed at how ridiculous I sounded. I'm sorry. I hadn't been laser tagging since before my brain could retain memories. 

"I guess that does make us the ninjas," I said, breaking from the hug and beginning to walk to the building. When we got inside, my father lead us to a table in the back of one of the small restaurants in the arcade area and ordered a couple of waters. When the waiter had gone, he leaned on the table. 

"So, we have our public place," I started. "Other than turn our phones on, what are we going to do?" I asked. 

My father leaned on the table and pointed to the far back corner where the door to the other hand of the building, aka laser tag, lead. There was a counter to the right of it and a dark colored man with a slick hair cut was helping a family pay their fare before opening the door for them with his keycard and letting them walk through. 

"You see him?" my father asked me. I nodded my head. "His name is Enrico. I didn't know that he moved here until we just walked in, and if he is here, then his father is here."

"Enrico..." Marcus trialed off in thought. "Wasn't that the son of Mateo?" he asked. My father nodded. "Mateo retired over five years ago. What is he going to be able to do for us?"

"He might be retired, but once you are in a gang, there is never a point in your life when you can feel safe without heat near by. If Enrico works here, I have my suspicions that his father either works behind the scenes or even owns the laser tag area."

"And since he retired five years ago, he wouldn't know anything about what my father has been doing," Marcus said. 

"Correct," my father replied. I sat back, watching the amount of people paying Enrico and disappearing inside the doors. 

"There are so many people that are signing up for these games. I don't think that there is a way that we are going to be able to use the laser tag area without civilians being in the way. Even if Mateo has the guns that we need, there is no way that we are going to be able to use them without hurting someone or at least people catching onto what is happening," I pointed out. 

"One of Mateo's greatest skill sets when he was in the gang was his ability to be discreet, and he was also one of the men that checked the weapons and from time to time made custom weapons when we needed to blend in," Marcus told me. 

"So you are saying that you think that Mateo has weapons that can pass by as laser tag guns?" I asked. "That's ridiculous."

"It might sound it, but I don't doubt that there is something that we can use that will help us," my father said. 

"Okay, well his son looks to be 23 maybe 24 years old. How old would that make Mateo? In his forties, early fifties?" I asked. "What would cause a gang member to retire out of a gang that early?" I asked. 

There was a shift between Marcus and my father, and my father went to speak, "There was a mission that Robert and I wanted Mateo to come on, and we were pushing him to bring his son. He was 18 and we had been wanting to recruit him. Enrico is strong and showed a lot of potential.