Chapter 26 - Deep Seeded Regret

I hadn't seen Marcus since he had walked into the house. I also hadn't seen Robert. I was sitting in the living room, playing with the hem of my tank top as I waited. I checked my watch repeatedly, watching an hour pass. And then an hour and fifteen. My knee bounced as I stared at the door. 

"Staring at the door isn't going to help anything," I looked behind me to see Rylee walking toward me. She was in heels and a skirt that I would kill to be able to rock, but the emotionless expression identified her as Robert's daughter. 

To my surprise she sat down next to me.

"Why are you even still here?" The question took be aback. 

"I'm not exactly allowed to leave."

"I understand that, but why are you even helping them? My father wants nothing but his friend back so he can go back to being the biggest and baddest. Without your father, mine will just go back to trying to fix things and you could go back to your life."

"The world thinks that I'm dead."

"Because that is what you have let my father tell them."

"They need me-"

"The hell they do. My father wanted you dead, and now you're here letting him degrade you like this?" The fire ignited again in me.

"This coming from the girl that doesn't even respect her family and what they have done for her."

"You have no idea what my family had done for me."

"I know that your mother loves you, and that you acting like you hate her, hate your life, and hate everything to do with her breaks her heart every day."

"You act like you now her," Rylee said.

"I know that she has taken to me so much because I have the time of day to give to her. She wants a daughter, and she has one. But that daughter won't do anything to try and make her life a little easier. You really think she grew up thinking she was going to marry into a gang? No, but she fell in love and she is now trying to make sense of this world. Her daughter leaving her is not helping."

Rylee looked at me, a mixture of anger and something else that was creating tears to come to her eyes. 

"You don't know anything." She got up to leave, and I sighed.

"You might not like me, and I am sorry for being here so long," Rylee stopped and turned around. "but at least try to get closer to your mother. She loves you."

"Whatever." I watched as Rylee stalked off and down the hall. I hadn't spoken to her since my first night here, and the first time I do I blow it by being my usual sarcastic and judgmental self. I didn't understand why I cared at all. I wasn't going to be here for much longer, so she wasn't going to be apart of my life anymore. That is if things with Marcus and I didn't work out. 

I stared at my watch again, getting aggravated at the time passing and my father still not being here. I decided to get up from the couch and go try and find someone. I figured that if I had really escaped than I wouldn't be left along on my first night there. I know I wasn't on my real first night. 

I threw my hair up into a pony tail, ignoring it's natural waves as I searched the halls. Finally, I found Marissa in one of the small offices in the back that were made for women. She was looking through some magazines. 

I knocked quietly on the door, grabbing her attention, "Hey, need any help?"

Marissa smiled, "Sure." I sat down next to her on the couch and started flipping through some of the magazines, writing down the page numbers that I thought were interesting.