Chapter 54 - Turn The Switch

Marcus and I had been sitting next to each other, my right hand in his as we waited. I couldn't help but think of the various ways that today could play out. I turn on my cell phone and probably within minutes, or at least within the hour, Robert, Newman, and at least a dozen of their men would come. We would have to identify who they were and get the upper hand before hey identified us. 

And if we did manage to do that, what would we do with Robert and Newman? As much as it sickened me to think, I could probably live with the death of Newman after everything that he had put me and my family through. And yes, Robert had done a lot, too, but he had also helped to shape me into the girl that I was today. 

And if the reason that he had betrayed my father was to protect his family from the wrath of Newman, how could I blame the man? He wanted what was best for his family. He wanted to see his son grow up and take over the gang some day. He wanted to lie down every night beside his wife. He wanted to deal with the teenage phase of Rylee. He wanted to provide a life for his family. He wanted the most basic right to a human being: the right to live. 

"What are you thinking about so hard?" Marcus asked, using his right hand to bush some hair that had fallen out of my bun from the sides of my face. I sighed. 

"I don't know. I know that I am new to this life, and I know that you gave me the option to sit out, but I have to just been going through everything in my head and none of it is going to end well." I looked into Marcus's concerned eyes. "If we kill Newman, we win the battle, but his men are going to hold a grudge against us. And what do we do about your father? Even with everything that he has done, he is still your father, Marcus. He still has a wife and he still has three kids.

"They are going to come here, and I have no doubt that there is going to be life lost. But who decides which life is worth losing?" 

Marcus turned his body in his chair so he was facing me more directly, looking me straight in the eye. "Roseilin, you are so smart, and so companionate, it makes me fall in love with you every time that I see you. But in this life, we have to do what is best for ourselves."

"And what is best, Marcus? For you to be fatherless and for Newman's gang to have every reason under the sun to come after you?"

I saw the gang leader growing behind Marcus's eyes, his eyes hardening. "I won't let those bastards anywhere near my gang," he vowed.

"It won't happen today. It won't happen tomorrow, but Newman's people are going to hold a grudge against your family every single day until they can find a way to make your family pay for what is going to happen here today. It could be your son that is affected, Marcus. What makes you think that you are going to be able to protect everyone every day of the week?" I asked.

"I will protect my family," his voice was hard now, the only emotion showing was anger. 

"And what kind of life is your family going to have when this is all set and done, and they are going to live their life looking over their shoulder? Are they going to be locked in the house like I have been? Are they going to be able to make friends? Are they going to be able to choose whether they are going to be in your gang?"

Marcus opened his mouth to answer when we heard the door open and the two men walked out of the room. I rested my hand on his thigh as I tried to undo the stress that was in his entire body. We both stood as Mateo and my father walked closer to us. 

"This last game is about to end in two minutes," Mateo announced to us. "We are known for giving guests a longer game experience with cheaper prices, so every game is ten minutes long," he explained. "The kind of guns your father is looking for I keep in the back, but they look identical to the ones that civilians use aside from the light on the side."