Chapter 1 - Farm Roads

I sat out on the bench in front of the football field, allowing the spring breeze to tangle my hair as I finished off the last of my lunch. Senior year was almost over, and I had no plan for the rest of my life. My father used to tell me that I should go to college, get a degree, do work that makes me proud, that makes me want to get up every morning and not go to bed until its past dark. 

I used to think that maybe I would be able to have a life like that. I used to think that I would be able to attend boring lectures, take boring tests, and get the degree that would supposedly open my life up to a world of happiness. But I also used to be a fool. I used to listen to my father before he died. 

Two years ago, the factory that my dad owned burned down in a fire, and he was one of the 17 casualties. At first the town helped my mother and I, and we grieved with worrying for financials, but the town soon forgot about the tragedy and we were left to hold a house and keep food on the table. 

I watched as my mother grew more distant with each day until she barely talked anymore. I saw her car when she came home from work and when she got up to leave the next day. Dinner was an ever rotating order of pizza delivery men at our doorstep. 

The bell rang, signaling the end of sixth period and the release of me from school. I technically didn't have to be at school during sixth, but it was depressing to go back to an empty house everyday for lunch and go through the same routine of cleaning a room a day and doing the dishes and taking out the trash and recycling. 

I packed up the left over snacks and slung my backpack over my shoulder, grabbing the keys to my car before doing so. I walked back through the bleachers and over to the parking lot, unlocking the driver's door and getting in. I sighed, resting my head against the seat before turning the key and allowing the engine to roar to life. 

I turned out of the parking lot, taking a left onto the main road as I began fiddling with the radio as I drove. I turned my right turn signal as I looked down at the numbers on the screen. 102.5 never played commercials. 

I merged out of the lane and onto the second road, a calmer and less used road that allowed me to focus more on the radio and finally get it to the right one. I smiled, my head moving along to the beat as I turned off my turn signal and continued down the road. 

Suddenly, there was a flash, a searing pain, and the feeling of detachment from anything. Then I felt the tight grip of my seatbelt across my chest and my lap, but there was something wrong with my side. Something from my car had come loose and had swung against my side. I wanted to cry out, but the sheer pressure from the accident and from the seatbelt barely allowed me to breathe. 

There was a ringing in my ears, but I could hear acute sounds that were bringing me back to reality. There were voices. Men. Two of them I think. 

"Did you hit her hard enough?" his voice was low, but there was something about it that made me think he was a light-hearted guy. 

"I did what was necessary," this voice was just as low, but commanding. 

"Maybe you obeyed your father without even meaning to-" 

"Shut up and help me get her out-"

"All I am saying, Marcus, is that-"

"No names!" there was a loud sigh. Did they...mean to hit me? I forced my eyes to open, allowing the stinging to take over for a couple of seconds, my senses dulling until I started to make out the shapes in front of me. I could see the steering wheel in front of me, glass scattered everywhere. 

I forced my head to move to the left, seeing two sets of boots in front of me that were going in and out of focus. I opened my mouth to speak, trying to move my hand out of the car to get their attention. 

Suddenly there was a face in my view. Tan, freckled, green eyes, and blonde curly hair. Then it was out of view again. I closed my eyes I think, but I could feel the yanking of my arm. 

"Damn it, she's stuck."

"Get out of the way," it was the commanding voice again. I opened them again to see more tan skin, with dark hair and no freckles. The only thing I could think of was woah. He leaned in close to me, and I felt the pressure of his body against mine as he reached around and undid the buckle. I felt my body jolt, falling to the floor but he was there to catch me. 

I opened and closed my mouth but couldn't get any words out. I felt my body being dragged out of the car and finally I was able to get a cry out as they twisted my side. I had to guess that this one was Marcus, the one with the commanding voice. 

I looked up at him, trying to understand what was happening, but my vision was blacking out. I couldn't hear anything anymore, couldn't smell the leaking gas of the car. I could only see him. Marcus. The man that quite possibly totaled my car on purpose. 

N/A Hello to everyone who has started reading my book :) It means a lot to have people giving their time to something that I have spent a lot of time working on. I wanted to get you guys involved, and while this story is now complete, I want to know what you are thinking during the book so I know what to do better while I am writing the sequel right now. 

So what do you think about Roseilin? Is she a loner? What kind of person do you think her loss has made her into?

Do you think the accident was an accident? 

Thank you again for reading my story and I can't wait to write more for you guys :)