Chapter 41 - Life Long Friend

"Roseilin," I smiled at the sound of Marcus's voice. His hand pushed hair to the back of my ear as I opened my eyes. For once, he looked peaceful and content.

"Oh my god, is that bacon?" I inhaled the wonderful smell of peppered bacon as he set the plate down on his bed side table and leaned in for a kiss. 

"Yes, but before you eat that, I need to ask you a question." 

"Yeah, yes, I mean anything," I said. Fuck, I already blew it. He was going to ask me to be his girlfriend and my awkward ass just ruined it before it even began. Marcus smirked at me, shaking his head before looking back to me. 

"Join me tonight. I'll set out something for you to wear, and all you have to do is join me somewhere."

"Where?" I asked, trying to hide my disappointment.

"That's for me to know," Marcus said, bringing the plate to my lap. "and you to find out. So is it a yes?"

"Yes," I said. "It's a yes." As I ate, Marcus just sat on the bed next to me, smiling every now and then before his face turned serious. 

"You know that you're going to have to talk to your father eventually," he told me gently. 

"I am aware," I replied, the bacon suddenly not tasting as good as it had a second ago. I set it down on the plate, taking the sheets and wrapping them around my legs even tighter. I remembered what Rylee had said, again ever the wise, but I didn't want to talk to him. Now that I knew that he was alright, the feeling of betrayal was far more intense than any other. 

"I just don't want to be in the same room as a murderer," I told him. 

"Your father is not a murderer," Marcus said. He spoke before I could, "He made a mistake, and it cost him everything." He leaned into me, forcing me to look at him. "It cost him you." I closed my eyes, knowing that he was right, but dreading going downstairs. 

"I already hurt him yesterday. I'm sure that he doesn't want to see me now," I said. 

"Roseilin, I don't think there will ever be a day that your father doesn't want to see you." I smiled, leaning into him before shoving the last piece of bacon into my mouth instead of kissing him. He laughed, releasing me and getting off the bed. I set the plate down, accepting his hand as he stood me up. 

"I need to shower and change before he sees me," I told Marcus. 

"Use my shower," he muttered into my ear. I smiled, a flash of Newman crossing my face and causing me to tense. Then I saw Marcus, and relaxing again. 

"As long as you promise not to peek." I laughed at his wink, walking into his bathroom and shutting the door. I smiled at myself in the mirror, but it dropped when I saw Newman behind me. I spun only to find an empty shower stall. 

"What is going on with me?" I asked myself, turning on the shower and getting undressed. The water felt cool on my skin, calming me down through each of the shots of Newman that danced behind my eyes. But it wasn't enough. I could feel my chest restricting in on itself. I gasped for breath, feeling the water coming in through my mouth as well as the air that my body was forcing me to need. 

"Roseilin, are you okay?" I heard Marcus knocking on the door, but I couldn't answer. "Can I come in? Please, are you okay?" I just kept gasping for air as I turned my back on the door. He couldn't seem me like this. I was even freaking myself out. I heard the door open and a now soaking towel wrap around me before his strong arms took me in a hug. "It's okay. It's okay. You're here now. Newman isn't here. You're okay."

I won't lie: I wept. Like a fucking baby in that shower stall. Marcus probably wanted to me somewhere other than under a stream of water fully clothed, but he stayed there as I cried. Finally my tears dried and I had calmed myself. 

"Thank you," I whispered. He didn't say anything to reply to me, he just grabbed another towel, handing it to me as he turned around for me to switch them after turning off the water. I replaced the towel, wrapping it tight around me as I stepped out of the shower stall. 

As soon as I was out, Marcus wrapped me in another hug. I buried my face into his wet shirt, taking in his support as much as I could. I didn't see Newman when I closed my eyes, or when I opened them again. 

"I'm going to kill him," Marcus muttered to me. I stayed in the hug for fear of seeing the expression on his face. 

"It's not worth it," I told him. 

"You're worth it."

Marcus brought me clothes from my room, leggings and a white shirt, and I tried not to blush as my panties and bra stuck out from under the shirt. I changed quickly in the bathroom and walked with Marcus downstairs. It was only my father, Robert, Marcus, and me in the living room. Once my father saw me, he got up from the couch. 

"Rosie," my heart was already softening at the nickname. "I'm so sorry-"

"No," I said, sitting down across from him. "I need to apologize for what I said yesterday. However true it felt, I should have given you the chance to explain yourself." My father sat down, nodding his head as he sat down again. 

"Robert told me that you know everything about, well, everything." I nodded my head. "So I guess I only really need to tell you about after the fire.

"After the fire, I came here. Almost all of my belongings were at our house, but I always had a go bag here just in case. Robert tried to talk me out of it, but I thought that if I stayed here and Newman was watching, he would find out that I didn't die in the fire. And if he found out that I didn't die, no matter how guarded I was here, I was terrified of bringing you into all of this. I was terrified how you would react to all of this.

"So I went on the run. I kept tabs on you and your mother the entire time. I never left the state for more than a week, and I never went a day without checking in on you guys in some way. I thought that was going to be the rest of my life, but one day I just wanted to be near you so badly, and I guess Newman's men found out.

"I wanted to come back as soon as I figured out that you knew about everything, but then I figured out that Newman had taken you the first dad. I was....horrified about what he was going to do to you when you said you didn't know where I was, and I was terrified that you would be hurt over all of this. I guess I was right about that..."

"Then why didn't you try to get me?"

"Marcus showed up, I saw from the tree line. And when I knew that you were safe, I thought that if I was around you guys then Newman, who was looking for me, would find you and torture you even if he had me. So I kept my distance, and I tried to believe that you would be better off without me in your life, but then I saw the picture that Newman posted on the page..." My father made a face like h was thinking hard. "Wait, if I got captured by Newman because I was looking for you, and you got captured after you rescued me, then how did Newman post those photos?"

We all looked at each other before Robert said, "I-"

"We posted them," I interrupted. "Marissa used makeup and we posted the photos to try and get you to meet up with us and get you back here."

"Oh," his face was still thinking. "You just took a shower." 

"Yes?" I questioned before realizing what I had said. 

"And your bruise is still there." I gapped, no longer knowing what to say to cover for Robert. 

"It doesn't matter," I told my father, hoping to reign him in before someone said something. 

"No, who did this?" he asked, standing up and screaming it again. All of us remained silent. I looked at Marcus who was looking at his father. Finally, Robert crossed his arms, looking at his life long friend. 

"I did."

N/A  YOU DESERVE TO BE TOLD ON YOU FREAKING POOPY HEAD. I am so happy about this part, oh my lanta. um okay so I just typed lanta and it corrected to lantanas. Please someone tell me what a lantanas is?

Comment and enjoy the rest :)