Chapter 12 - Mind Over Matter

Marcus angrily walked in front of me, and I caught up to him as he was turning into the place I had woken up in.

"Luis, we need Roseilin's next dose," he said shortly. Luis immediately rose from her desk and walked around to get them for me.

"How is the pain?" she asked.

"Um, fine I guess," I replied, not wanting to seem weak in front of Marcus, but the truth was that every movement was beginning to be an 8 out of 10.

"Scale of 1 to 10?"

"6," I replied. She looked at me and the way I was standing, and then at Marcus who was brooding in the corner, and then brought me the medicine along with a cup of water.

"I would take one right before you go to bed, so anytime from 10 to midnight." I took the medicine and handing back the cap she had given it on.

"Thank you," I said. "Is my bag here?" I asked her. She nodded and I walked back to the bed, not made and neat, that I had woken up in. My bag was tucked into the corner behind it. I grabbed it and slung it over my left side.

"Have a good evening, Miss. Nethelee. Mr. Thein," she said as we passed by her. In the hall, I walked ahead of him and headed to the stairs, but he met up with me half way and ripped my bag off my shoulder, holding it as he walked on.

Asshole

When we reached the third floor, he walked three doors down and stopped at what I assumed was mine on the right. He slid a key in the lock and opened it, holding the door for me as we walked in. The door shut automatically as I walked through.

"The doors lock automatically. This is your key," Marcus said, throwing the key at me to catch. I slid it on the dresser, walking further in. Just like at my house, Marcus sat on my bed and waited for me to say something. This time, I just walked around and checked out the room.

"This is so beautiful," I said mostly to myself.

"There are some formal clothes in the back I'm pretty sure would fit you if we need you to wear them at any point," he said.

"What would I need to wear them for?"

Marcus shrugged and got up from the bed. He put the bag on the bed and opened it, starting to taking some of the things out.

"Let me help you out that," I said, not trying to sound mean, but he tensed anyways.

"Fine," he said, putting what he was holding down and walking to the door. I furrowed my brown not understand what I did wrong.

"Why do you do that?" I asked. He didn't turn around to face me, so I walked up to him. "Why do you go to do something nice and then suddenly you turn so mean." I was right behind him now, and I could feel him thinking. I put my hand on his shoulder blade, "You can trust me."

"You can't trust anyone," he said, opening the door and disappearing down the hall until I couldn't see him anymore. I shut the door and leaned against it, wondering why I suddenly cared if he was nice to me.

His mother had painted him to be this bruised man that was hiding behind a facade, but I couldn't see past the ever tense body, the icey glares, and the sarcastic tongue. It was like his mother was lying to herself that her husband hadn't ruined her son. Lukas seemed decent, but that might also be because Marcus and Robert also seemed to be the ones that ran everything. I'm sure that Lukas also had some blood on his hands, but maybe he wasn't as bad as other two.

I walked over to my bed and sat on it, falling backwards. I tried to do the math of how long I had been introduced to this stressed world. I left school at 2:10 PM Thursday afternoon, I got hit by a car and driven two hours somewhere, and then I was held by Newman until the next morning. Only about 28 hours had I been exposed, and here I was, more stressed and confused than I had ever been. It was Friday.

It was Friday.

Tonight was prom.

I groaned, remembering the constant fights I had been having with mother about me speeding the weekend with my friends after prom. She told me that it wasn't safe, and mostly just that it wasn't happening. I had been so upset with her, and now she probably thought I was dead.

I thought about the gown that was sitting in the back of my closet at home, still in the plastic wrapping the dry-cleaners had sent it home in. Sadness started to set into me, through my heart and seeping through my blood to every inch of my body. I sobbed. I didn't care who heart me, and I didn't care that with every sob my side screamed in pain. I just added it to the list of reasons why crying was a good idea. 

Less than two days ago I had been in an argument with my mom. Now, I didn't even know where she was. I had been tortured, and almost raped. I had been torn around and told what to do. I had found out my father had been lying to me for two years, and even been close enough to tell me about it. How could I not have seen him? Sitting on that bench watching me. I had grown up with him as my role model, and I couldn't see behind a beard?

I sat there, trying to remember seeing him, and crying even harder when there was no recollection for my mind to give me. 

N/A  Guys I am sitting here typing these out, and can I say that I should have chosen a time other than before bed to do this? Okay, with that said....

What are we thinking so far?

Are we sympathetic towards Roseilin? I mean, it is prom...

What are we thinking of Marcus?

Have a great night!