Chapter 27 - I Don't Know Why

I just stood there for a few moments when the words finally came out of Marcus's mouth. I imagined my father, tied to a chair and being tortured. Or maybe he was on his knees like I had been. Was someone pointing a gun at him? Was Newman wiping my father's blood off his hands? Was my father even alive?

"Roseilin," Marcus's voice was soft, but it held so much worry it was as heavy as an ocean. 

"How?" I asked. 

"We don't know for sure yet. It seems he has been gone for at least an hour."

"How did you find out?"

"Newman. He sent a picture of your father-" I pushed past him and started walking down the hall.

"Where is it. Show it to me."

"Roseilin, I don't think that is a great idea..."

"Show it to me!" I ached to see anything that had to do with my father. If I could maybe recognize something in the photo? There was't much for me to recognize. If he was anywhere near here, then they were in the car at this point. I woke up at the Newmans. I didn't know anything about the way that I had gotten there.

I didn't care. 

I burst into Robert's office where he was sitting in his chair as if nothing was happening. I stood in the doorway, fuming and glaring at him. I could feel Marcus behind me, but he wasn't doing anything to stop me from entering, so I walked in further. 

"Where is the picture?" Robert turned his monitor towards me and there was my father, a deep cut supplying dried blood to his face. His eyes were closed, and his hands were bound behind his back. I couldn't see under his waist as the photo was cut off. There was a gag over his mouth, cutting facial hair that I had only seen in the photo of him at my school. 

My chest constricted in its horror. I wanted to cover my mouth to ensure that I wasn't going to throw up, but my hands stayed at my side. My throat moved as if I was going to talk, but I didn't. I just continued to stare at the screen. 

"He's been gone for an hour at this point," Marcus said. "I'll go call Liam. We'll get some information together and go from there." No one responded to him, but I saw Robert nod to him before I heard Marcus leave. 

I sat down in a chair. Robert sat down in his. We said nothing. We did nothing. I felt him looking at me, but all I did was look at my hands in my lap. They seemed to make more sense than anything about this situation. 

"Why did he leave in the first place?" I said. 

"You know-"

"No I don't!" I yelled. "I don't know why he decided to make a life of a gang. I don't know why he decided to have a family in a world where he was in a gang. I don't know why he would let his family be ignorant of a world where he fucking killed someone! I don't know why," I paused, my voice lowering as I sat back down in my chair. "I don't know why he would kill someone. Someone's daughter."

"It was an accident, Roseilin," I rose my head to look at him. 

"How do you accidentally kill someone? I saw the way that Newman wiped someone's blood off like it didn't matter. You're in a gang. Killing is-"

"-not something that your father ever thought he would do." I closed my mouth. Robert sighed. "When your father and I were young, we never thought that anything would lead to here. I was an angry kid in high school, and your father was one of the many kids that I bullied. Except, unlike the other ones, when I walked away, he walked after me. 

"Your grandfather never respected his decision to befriend me in an effort to change the way that I behaved, but he always respected your father's heart. He let your father do what rethought was right, and in the end it only made him and I closer. But as you might've noticed, I have never been a fan of emotions. My own father had been apart of a gang when he was younger, and it was one of the only things that made me feel like I had anything in common with him. 

"When your father found out that I had joined a gang and that there was no way out with our lives, he joined with me. The damn bastard wouldn't let me make my own horrible decisions on my own. Even though the gang went against everything your father believed in, he worked his way up with me so that we could leave. He never once killed someone while doing it.

"We finally got to the top of the gang. We had the money we needed to leave, and I was finally ready to do the smart things for once. I was going to leave with him. But...something came up and we had to stay. Your father decided that if we could become one of the highest feared gangs, we would be able to go throughout life and not be monsters to be executed when we had our eyes closed."

"What happened that would make my father want to make his own gang?" I asked. 

"You." I blinked, my eyebrows coming together over and over as I thought over the one simple word. It was like I was learning a new language and I thought I knew the meaning but I wasn't sure. "Your mother got pregnant with you. Your father got scared that with a kid the money would run out. There was always the chance that when we ran there would be people that would follow. He wasn't willing to risk the life of his child in his chance to get out the of the life I had dragged him into." For the first time I saw a sense of remorse coming over Robert's face. 

"My father made his own decisions," I said to him. Robert looked at me surprised. I realized that this was probably the first time that I had ever said anything to him that wasn't sarcastic or rude. "You weren't the reason that he went into the gang. He was. He felt the need to make sure that you were okay. Anyone else could have done that through calling or texting or asking in person. It was my dad's decision to go into it head first."

"Maybe you're right, but none of it matters anymore."

"No," I said, standing up. "it doesn't. We need to find Newman. Where was the house that Marcus rescued me from?"

"The Newmans wouldn't go back to the same house," Robert said. "I'm sure that it's already demolished by now along with anything or anyone that they didn't need to take with them."

"So how do we find my father?" I asked, panic rising.

"Newman always had one weakness," Robert said, getting up from his chair. 

"Let me guess," I cut in. I thought back to the one night that I had spent there. "Sex-trafficking." 

N/A  Who ever thought that the way to make money was to sell women to men. And who in their right mind buys a woman? You're ruining her life, and it makes me actually sick. 

Anyways, as always, comment and continue enjoying the book. <3 :)