Chapter 39 - Wrong Place At The Wrong Time

I rounded the hallway to find Marcus coming up the steps. His eyes were full of terror, desperation, disbelief. I didn't know what to do other than stand there. I wanted to smile, but the terror of the look he had given me when I gave myself up rendered my lips dormant.

"I'm sorry for what I did. I know that it was stupid, and I know that you won't forgive me, but I wanted your family to be safe. I want everyone to be safe-" Marcus reached me and brought me into the tightest hug I had ever felt. His arms wrapped around me, almost twice. I let my head rest against his heaving chest as we stood there, but the moment didn't last long. 

"What the hell  were you thinking?" he asked me. 

"I told you-"

"You told me that you were going to be safe. We brought you along so that you weren't sitting here waiting, and you said that you could handle yourself."

"I'm here now-"

"After God knows what Newman did to you..." his sentence faltered as I looked down at his shoes, no longer able to keep eye contact. "What did he do to you?"

"Nothing worse than what the other girls have been through." His eyebrows came together with mixed emotions. I could see that he wanted to say more, but he didn't. He stepped back. 

"If you ever fucking do that again I will kick you out of this house faster than you can ask for your shoes," he told me, turning around and walking back down the stairs. I sighed, looking to my right to see that Rylee had been standing at her door the entire time. I shook my head at her, having a silent conversation before I followed Marcus down the stairs. 

"Dad!" I said, running to where he was standing in the living room. He looked tired, but better than a few days ago. He was shaven, both his face and his head, and he was in jeans a muscle shirt that matched the one that Marcus was wearing. 

"Rosie," he muttered, embracing me. We stood there for what seemed like no time, but too soon we let go. "Are you okay? Did he hurt you?"

"No," I lied, smiling. "No, he didn't hurt me. Zach got to me in time," I glanced over to where Zach was standing with Marcus, an unspoken message in my eyes that told him this was what my father needed. 

"Thank God," my dad said, hugging me again. Then he looked at me closer, "Then what are these?" I saw him point to the bruises that I was showing in my now even more revealing, tattered clothes. 

"Oh," I said. "I guess he did get a couple in. I don't know, I might've tripped down the stairs." There was a pause before I stepped away, backing up from him. I wanted to hug him, and I wanted to make sure that he was okay, but I needed answers first. 

"Why did you leave?" I asked him. 

"Robert said he told you everything-"

"He told me his side. Why did you leave me? And mom?" My father looked at me, searching me for something before sighing and sitting down on the couch. 

"Roseilin, there are a lot of reasons that I had to leave. I had to keep you and your mother safe."

"Bullshit. You were running because you were scared. You raised me to meet my problems head on, and when it came to it you ran from the only people you could trust."

"I know that it seems like I made the wrong choice, but I thought that it was the best one at the time. If I could get myself away from all of you, I could use the fact that the world that I had died in that fire to vanish. If I wasn't there, and Newman thought I was dead, than there would be no reason for him to continue to come after my family."