Chapter 42 - Give The Command

Robert and my father had been yelling behind closed doors for at least forty-five minutes now. I sat in the living room, at first with everyone else but now it was just Zach and I. Marissa came home and she and Marcus had left the room together after Marissa had embraced me. She had been out doing something for the family when I had gotten back yesterday. To say that her smiling face was welcome was an understatement. 

Zach and I sat on opposite couches as I listened to my father yelled inaudibly at Robert who was surprisingly calm. 

"You have a lot of people fighting over you," Zach said out of no where. I scoffed, not understanding what he meant. "Come on, you don't see it? Your father is fighting with Robert because Robert did what was necessary to get his partner back home. Marcus made me break my cover of a year in order to get you back here, and Newman has wanted you since your father killed his daughter."

"I didn't ask any of them to fight for me," I mumbled, wincing as my father yelled something else. 

"I think that's why they do it," Zach observed. 

"What does that even mean?"

"It means that you are one of the strongest women that I have personally ever met, and you never ask for anything in return. You've helped these people get their mentor and partner back-"

"-so that I could get my father back-"

"-but you never asked for anything else. If they got their mentor than you already got your father. You somehow rallied those girls to almost fight me when we got to the other house, and I haven't seen life like that in their eyes the entire time that I have been there."

"So what? I have a big mouth, I can talk to people, and I am a push over that let my kidnappers talk me into helping them. It sounds like you're describing an idiot to me."

"Or," Zach said, resting his elbows on his knees and leaving forward. "I'm describing the next leader of the gang." I scoffed again. What the hell was this guy saying? I knew nothing  about the gang or how it was run, or what they even did for money. I only knew that they had been looking for my father. 

"Don't underestimate yourself, Roseilin," Zach said, sitting back as we both heard footsteps coming from down the hall. "You're a lot more than you seem to think."

I brushed it off, instead turning my head to see my father and Robert coming back over to the living room. 

"Are you boys done with your tantrum?" I asked. 

"This isn't something to be funny about, Roseilin, he hurt you."

"And it was my idea in the first place," I told him. "Don't think that you, Robert, or anyone else is willing to do whatever it takes to get back family. Yeah, Robert was the only to throw the punch, but I was the one to give the command."

My father came and walked up to me, taking me by my arms and looking at me in the eyes, "How could you ask for someone to do such a thing?"

"The outcome outweighed the cost."

"I am not worth-"

"-don't tell me what you're worth, dad. I know what you're worth, and it was everything that I could give. You have been there for me my entire life, and even if at first I thought that this gang meant that you were ruthless and had lied to me my entire life, I know now that you did this for mom and me. Plus, it was finally the day that I got to save your ass."

My father shook his head, "I underestimated you," he said, touching my cheek with his finger before pulling me into a hug. I hugged him back, seeing Zach over his shoulder smirking at me.