Yes, he was a grand hero and yes, he could always be counted on to defeat any sort of threat, small and large. It was this very reason he was crowned leader in the first place and had songs sung about how brave and noble he was. He loved the attention and loved how Terresa's hand felt in his when she acknowledged his bravery. But he never intended it would ever turn out like this. Where the fate of their home and their world relied on him.

"How can you look at me for guidance?" Balthazar ripped his hand away from Terresa and sighed. "I'm not the hero everyone makes me out to be."

"Yes, you are!"

A weary voice emerged from the ashes, his body shaking in pain, both from his battle and the tech armour he wore on his body.

"I mean, it's not looking very dandy," said Reijo Gilsidian, smirking at Balthazar who shook his head at his head alchemist. "But I can't remember a time when the great Balthy failed to win a battle."

Their words were fickle yet, to Balthazar, it ignited something within him that made him straighten his body up and to glare at the darkness that was bordering on the horizon.

Clouds formed along the ashy lands before him, entangled in magic so sinister it made every hair on his body stand. Creatures of terrifying statue lingered in this smoke, sniffing out any means of life forms that were left, dragging the corpse into their clutches and disappearing forever.

And just in the midst of all this madness, Balthazar looked into the violet stormy eyes of the one who created this — the summoner who was once called Ethelgard Braithwaite. Balthazar's best friend.

The corrupted man snickered. "You think you can beat me?" He roared, "I've wiped out half this world, yet you continue to deny me what's rightfully mine?"

It was hard to accept that this man of great wisdom and strength, a person Balthazar depended on and would go to for help, was so corrupted that he summoned the magic that was forbidden for humans.

Ethelgard was able to contain time for himself, control death with the snap of his fingers and conjure life whenever he pleased. This was the magic that could alter any other power in Amberguarde and halt it in place.

However, Balthazar had to desperately try to stop him.

Ethelgard raised his hand. The magic he created along his arms twisted his flesh, pulsating towards the ground then shaking the cobblestones beneath Balthazar's feet. Such power made the buildings near him collapse, sending boulders flying towards him.

"I got this," yelled Reijo, stopping the boulders in mid air by summoning a huddle of metal to cover Balthazar like a cocoon.

Balthazar held his lancer high in the air and pushed forward. His fire magic aligned with the steel that he held and emphasised the power of his drive. He heard everyone else follow, with the whisk of wind flushing past his cheeks and the subtle sound of splashing that turned torrential resonating in the sound waves.

He leapt through the darkness like a bullet, piercing the chest of Ethelgard. It tore through flesh and began to char bone but, to Balthazar's surprise, it did not phase him. Perhaps it was the fact that the Paladin didn't have enough energy to launch a strong enough attack or that he had simply missed.

With widened eyes and his mouth jarring open, Balthazar saw that this man had sold his soul to the darkness — so he himself, can be the force of nightmares.