39 | Chapter Thirty Nine

Start from the beginning

"Because of your injury, we'll avoid the heavy casting spells such as lunar blast and flare."

Hearing Lumino tell Macey this saddened her, making her pout her lip, sighing in disbelief. But all was not lost as he said, "today we will learn lunar overhaul. It's kind of a powerful spell but not to a point where your body is against you."

Macey cocked her brow up, nodding her head in agreement. She liked the sound of this spell and could tell from Lumino's large grin that it was a good one.

"So Macey," Lumino exclaimed. "What do you know about moon magic?"

Her eyes became furrowed and her lips were pressed in a flat line. Macey couldn't think of ideas other than the obvious one, shrugging at Lumino then said, "All I know is that it's powerful. And that only people born with it can use its properties to its full capacity."

Lumino nodded. "The reason why solar power and lunar energy are so powerful is because of the ample and abundant magical essence that surrounds this world." He then wheeled himself closer to Macey. Luminos hands began to glow white, with his teeth clenched together tightly before he said, "To be able to pinpoint this freely and solidly can only be used by those born of such power, like yourself."

Macey didn't understand a word Lumino said. She nodded her head in agreement but he screwed up face most likely gave her confusion away.

Lumino sighed and shook his head. "Let's say that lunar energy is tea and you're the only one with a teapot. No one else can hold the tea because they weren't born with a teapot like you. They can use a small cup but the tea will burn them if they try. Do you get it now?"

"Yeah," said Macey, nodding at his simplistic answer. She then grinned and placed one hand on her hip and the other extended outwards, saying, "I'm a little teapot, short and stout."

Lumino snickered. "I'm not surprised you have a humorous side to you — very similar to your father, which makes me wonder if that's good or bad."

"I get it," laughed Macey. "And just like a teapot, I'm the only one who can pour the tea consistently."

Lumino cocked his head up with a half a smirk appearing along his face. Macey couldn't tell from his facials whether or not he was relieved about something or what, folding her arms across her chest and letting off a small pout to her lip.

"It's a relief to see your mother's intelligence," laughed Lumino, gripping at the side of his body. "And yes, you're right. Only you can channel the lunar energy that lingers into a single stream. Everybody else..."

Macey looked down at the professor's legs. It was a cruel reminder to her that she is the only recipient in the world, that she knows of, that can use lunar energy freely — and that everyone else pays, with their bodies or their lives if they even attempt.

Cutting the lingering silence, Lumino clapped then said, "now then. Let's get into the actual lesson. But first — a question. How do you control your moon magic?"

"I don't," replied Macey. "Ever since I can remember, I've never had a full grasp upon it because it's always been too powerful."

Macey remembered a time where she was placed into a position where people, who she cared about, tried to force her to use it. Attempting to summon her lunar energy always made her skin crawl, her muscles ache and also made her quiver with anxiety, telling Lumino, "however, I seem to be getting better control over it — somehow."