Chapter 27 Haunting Past

Chapter 27

Haunting Past

Gracie's POV

Sarah groaned as she clutched her bloated stomach. After devouring two and a half popcorn tubs, a large box of dots and a large soda she began complaining about her aching tummy.

"Momma." she whined as she turned to her side on her bed

When Sarah got sick we immediately went home instead of going to dinner as originally planned, Jason felt horrible for giving Sarah all those snacks although it was her own fault.

"I'll make the pain go away, here open wide." I ordered as I spooned a spoon full of honey into her tiny mouth

As I pulled the empty spoon out Sarah darted her tongue out and licked the spoon as she leaned in for more honey.

I shook my head disapprovingly "Do you want a bigger tummy ache?" I asked

"No momma." she replied with a pouty lip

"That's what I thought, you should feel better in the morning." I said as I stood up off the bed

Sarah crawled under the sheets with one arm wrapped around her mid-section. "Goodnight momma."

Pulling the covers up to her chin I placed a soft kiss to her forehead. "Sweet dreams." I said as I shut the door after me

Heading back down I spotted Jason at the end of the stairs with a look of concern. His soft blue eyes searched my face, it was kind of cute how he is worried.

"It's just a stomach ache from all she ate today but nothing serious." I answered already reading the question on his facial expression

"I'm sorry I should have listened to you earlier, you knew this would happen. What do I know about kids? I mean you know your own daughter and I shouldn't...,,"

I pressed my index and middle finger against his lips silencing him from his rambling. His thick brows kneaded together as he blinked surprisingly at my actions. A small smile lifted at my lips as I shook my head.

"You didn't know." I stated simply

"But I ruined the dat-day." he said against my fingers

"Sarah had fun and so did I, so no you didn't ruin it." I assured him as I retreated my fingers

His brows were still tightly knit as he continued to think he ruined today which is near impossible. Today was the happiest I've felt in years and I don't know how to thank Jason for that. It feels like a lifetime ago that I've felt genuinely happy without worrying about the consequences of my temporary excitement, and this feeling seems to be constantly returning despite any bad turns.

The creases on Jason's forehead deepened as he frowned, I shook my head unsure of how to convince him of the truth.

"Let me make it up to you with dinner, I can whip a quick meal up." he asked a slight hesitance in his voice as if asking my permission

Before I could respond my stomach growled answering embarrassingly. With a sheepish smile I nodded.

"I love a girl than can eat." Jason chuckled before turning for the kitchen

When he was out of sight I ran as quick as my quaking legs could care me to the nearest bathroom. Stepping inside I looked at my reflection noting how plain I looked. The concealer gave my skin a pale dull color that was near gray, my eyes had dark bags under them from the many restless nights, my heart shaped lips were a pretty pale pink and my wild red hair was tied neatly into a ponytail as always.