26.

Two days later.....

Brendan is standing in front of his mother's house with the letter in his hand. During his date Saturday night, he told Annelise about Layla and the letter.

Annelise listens to everything Brendan says then ask,"what are you going to do?"

He shrugs,"I don't know honestly."

"You should talk to your mother about it and  when you figure out what you really want, call me", she gets up.

"Where you're going?" He frowns.

"Home, if we are going to be together I don't want this problem to affect us or what we have in the future", she explains.

"Will you be with me despite what I choose to do about it?"

"If you assure me whatever you decide wouldn't affect us or our relationship then yes I'll love to be with you", she nods and kisses his cheek. She leaves just as the waiter comes to take the empty dishes.

"Bring the check, we're not having dessert", Brendan says.

Brendan rings on the door, his mother opens it,"I missed you darling."

He hugs her, "we need to talk mom, it's urgent."

"Is it about Layla? I saw on Friday how she left quickly and you went after her."

"Yeah, it's about her. I need your advice."

"Well come in, my maid is off today. I just finished baking", Mrs. Gunner walks into the kitchen.

Brendan sits down at the counter and opens the letter, he already remove the picture of Lillian what was stuck at the bottom of the page.

"What you got there?"

"This was the last thing Layla left me before she disappeared on Friday night", he hands her the letter as she read it.

 She gasps and turns pale as the reads further.

"Those bastards kept your daughter and my granddaughter away from me, we should report them to the police", she turns angry.

"Mom, no I don't want to do that."

She scoffs,"yet they were going to do it if Layla didn't occupied."

"I just need your advice mom, what to do?"

"Well if she really wants you in Lillian's life then you should be in it. I grew up without my real father, although my stepfather treated my mom, siblings and I great he didn't fill that empty space", she explains.

"So I should try and contact Layla to make arrangement how I'll be in Lillian's life?"

"Yes the earlier the better", she nods.

 He calls the number she Layla left in the letter.

"Hello?" She answers.

"Hey, its me. Where are you?"

----

Brendan meets Layla at the park they used to hang out at as kids. Lilian is sleeping in the stroller which her grandparents brought for her when her daughter comes to visit.

"Hey thanks for meeting me, I thought you already flew out to Brooklyn", he says as Layla sits on the bench with him. There are children all around playing in the playground, riding bikes or chilling with their parents.

"I am going tomorrow, I already told my parents that I want you in Lillian's life. Let's just say that we aren't on talking terms for the while", she sighs,"anyway Lily will be six months in about two weeks, she was born on February 15th."