The Date

Today was the big lunch date, I was so nervous. I've never really been on a date before. Anna helped pick out a light blue dress appropriate for lunch.  She lightly curled my hair and helped me with my makeup. It was around 12:00 when I went down to the servants hall. Unfortunately I interrupted everyone while they were eating lunch so as soon as I walked in they all had to stand up for me. 

"Ms. Branson, what can we do for you?" Mrs. Hughes asked walking in with Mrs. Pattmore. "I was just looking for James, I'm sorry I interrupted your lunch." I said slowly backing up, but before I could reach the stair I bumped into James. He was wearing a different shirt and a hat. "Ready?" He asked holding a picnic basket. 

I just nodded and followed him out to the the small pond on the south side of the estate. He laid a small blanket out and started setting up the picnic.  After he was done we both sat down and he handed me a sandwich. "Thank you, did you make these?" I asked unwrapping it from the foil. "Yep, I woke up at 8:00 to make them." He said as we both dug in. 

"These are delicious." I said smiling. We both talked for about 20 more minutes before he stood up and took off his shoes. "What are you doing?" I asked as he shook his hat off to. "This!" He said suddenly jumping into the pond, splashing water everywhere. "Are you coming in or what?" He asked surfacing. I just smiled and took off my shoes and hat as well before jumping in a asking a small splash. "Anna's not going to be happy I got this dress wet." I said as soon as I surfaced. "I'll talk to her, she knows it was just for fun.'" He said as we both started treading. 

"Come on, let's race!" I said swimming back to the other side of the pond. "What you cheated." He said following shortly behind. "No I didn't cheat, your just slow!" I said reaching the shore first. He just rolled his eyes and we went back to the blanket. "Here you can have the blanket." He said wrapping it around my shoulders. "Thanks." I said as we both walked back to the Abbey. 

As soon as we got back to my room we stopped in front of my door and faced each other. " I had fun, Thank you for the picnic." I said as we both started leaning in. "Your welcome." He said pressing his lips to mine. But I quickly pulled away before anyone could see us, said goodbye and went into my room to change.