Part 36

It had been two days now since Mr Dante's sudden passing and I still couldn't believe he was gone. Winter, who had never experienced death or understood what it was had asked where Mr Dante was and I had totally been at a loss as to what to tell her being that I hadn't experienced loosing anyone either. Yale had been so kind to explain everything to her, taking that difficult task off my hand and even as we sat in the church where his funeral was being held she seemed totally fine and oblivious to what was going on. Today was the day he was being put to rest and the atmosphere at the church was well, full of gloom and crying which was made worse by the woman beautifully singing "Ave Maria".

I wiped at the tears that were streaming down my cheeks as she ended the song on an emotional note. The priest then came forth to perform some rites on the casket before finally praying over it. He went on to usher everyone to be on their feet as the pale bearers came forth to lift the casket and among them was Yale and Nate. I still didn't know why Yale had let him been around for the last two days and even much so, be at the funeral but I trusted whatever his reasons were it wasn't going to put the life of his daughter or mine at stake for that matter. I still felt uneasy around Nate though.

Winter who was by my side called out to Yale when they bypassed us at the second pew giving him a wide smile which Yale returned despite the fact that he was in a bad place right now which earned us some glances from the rest of the congregation but i didn't care. The rest followed suite with the immediate family right behind and me mixing in with the rest of the people who had come out from all walks of life to pay their respects to Mr Dante. Federica, who had arrived the following  day after the news got out saw me behind and ushered for me to join her but I politely declined not wanting to stir up any drama. And I still didn't know why she had left the house all of a sudden or where she had dissappear off to when I moved in. She rolled her eyes at me apparently not going to take no for an answer. She stood and waited for me to get to where she was before continuing on. We walked in silence like the rest of the people until we were outside the church and the casket had been placed in the hearse.

"Do you want to ride with the rest of us?" She asked adjusting the wide brim black hat on her head as she cast her eyes over to where Ave and tje rest of the cousins stood.

I politely turned down her offer as I glanced around watching people get into their respective cars. No way was I going to be in a confined space with Anne, I couldn't stand her. The last time she had come at me I had been polite and nice out of curtsey and also because I didn't want to cause a scene but I wasn't  so sure I could tolerate her again.

"C'mon Faye. You are family now ." She tried convincing me but no way was I going to give in. She let out a sigh accepting my decision before stalking off to join her cousins.

Ben who must have been watching us came to me as soon as Federica left to ask if I was ready to go. I solemnly nodded my head taking hold of my baby's hand and leading her to the waiting car. I was already missing Yale not being by my side for the past ten hours....yeah I was counting each second he wasn't by my side. He'd been busy making arrangements since yesterday and that was fine. I understood he had more responsibilities now since he was the  head of the family now and everything. Depositing Winter in the car, I entered after her only to find Aurora already inside looking out through the other side of the window. I hadn't seen much of her since the rest of the family had come and I wondered what was going on between them. Keeping my thoughts to myself, I closed the door dreading the uncomfortable tension that I had to endure for the rest of the ride back to the family's mausoleum.

Hours Later.
The burial had ended a few hours ago and the reality of  his death fully sinking in now. Few of the people had left after the burial had been over with most of the guest staying behind for the reception which was being held outside of the house. I looked up at the skies which were beginning to get dark indicating it was going to rain soon or not. Sighing to myself I looked over to where Winter was playing with her cousins and smiled to myself, I was glad she was getting to know Yale's family and she was really enjoying it all especially having cousins since she didn't have that from my side.