Part 1

One month....it had been one month since I stated working here at Adkins Advertising. It was the best and leading agency which also dealt with marketing and public relations and I couldn't be more ecstatic about being here. It also marked my one month of freedom from my mother, well if the fact that I went back home every weekend was overlooked then yeah, one month of freedom and independency.

A small smile formed at the corner of my lips as I stared at my employee ID card that hang around my neck, having a job I got on my own was a big deal for me considering the fact that I came from money and was set to inherit my mother's publishing company one day. Everything had come easy to me, well everything money-wise and I hated it very much. It had taken consistent begging and pleading before my strong willed mother had caved in to my request to set out on my own and experience life for and by myself.

"Hey, Freckles!!" I heard someone calling out to me breaking my train of thoughts.

"Freckles", that was the name I had been christened with since the very first day I started working here.

"Yess boss." I got up from my cubicle when I realized it was Tom, the assistant Creative director calling for me.

Everyone within our radar raised his or her head to stare at me just like how they had been doing ever since I started working here. I was used to everyone staring at the "freckled freak" so I really didn't mind but it did make me uncomfortable. I mean who could blame them, it wasn't everyday you saw a plus size with freckles dusted all over her caramel face and body, wore glasses, had unruly chocolate brown hair with boring plain features.

I sighed to myself, smoothing the imaginary winkles on my dress before making my way to him.

"You called?" I asked, pushing the glasses that sat upon the bridge of my nose back.

"Of course I called." Tom replied back sternly. "I need you to take these files to the conference room on the top floor. They need it right now."

"But there's a meeting going on. Why can't someone else take it?" I asked feeling all kinds of nervous. I had never been to the top floor, only the CEO and other top executives were there. And I had heard all kinds of scary things about the C.E.O and how he wasn't the type you'd want to come in contact with.

"Because freckles, you are a newbie and therefore expendable. And besides, everyone is busy. Now do as you are told and go." He finished off, handed the files to me and retreated back to his office.

What did he mean by I was expendable? I thought about this as I made my way to the elevator. Luckily the top floor was just above the Creative Department so it didn't take long till I got there. I stepped out of the elevator to take in and appreciate the layout and design of the floor. The walls were painted in grey and white with words outlined everywhere on the walls. It was just like the creative department except our floor was colorful, hip, and fun.

I had no idea where the conference room on that floor was but then I spotted a pretty blonde coming down the corridor busily typing on her phone and decided to ask her.

"Hi, can you please help me, I'm looking for the conference room." I asked when she reached where I was still rooted in front of the elevator.

She stopped in her tracks when she heard my voice and the instant she cast her eyes upon me, I regretted my action. She stood there sizing me up from head to toe with a distasteful look plastered on her face.

After she was done assessing me she pointed me down the hallway without uttering a word before turning to leave.

'Well that was nice."- I muttered to myself underneath my breath and  headed in the direction she had pointed out.