Part 31

Friday Morning

Picking up the pillows from the floor, I gently placed it on the bed and straightened the covers before standing up straight to check if the bed looked okay. It had been kind of Yale to give up his very comfortable and room for me to use. And after yesterday, I felt so much at peace, as if a burden had been lifted off me. Forgiveness truly was something else and I was glad I could give it.

With thoughts of yesterday still lingering in my head, I made my way over to pick up my clothes and neatly fold them into the bag the new ones had come in. My phone rang just as I finished putting them away. I quickly grabbed hold of it from the bed to check who it was, it was the same number that had texted me yesterday and not my mother as I had thought.

I curiously stared at the number as the phone continued to ring not sure whether to pick it or not but my curiosity got the best of me. I answered it bringing the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Finally, I get to hear her voice again." The person joked from the other end of the phone.

The voice held so much familiarity it got me more curious than I already was.

"Who is this?" I asked pushing a strand of my hair our of my face.

"Really? Forgotten about me soo soon. I'm hurt. I thought I made a good impression on you yesterday at the cafe."

"Adam?"

"The one and only."

"Oh God I'm so sorry." I muttered out feeling bad for not recognising his voice the first time. I guess Holly had given him my number after all.

"Well I will accept your apology but on one condition."

"And what will that be?"

"That you have dinner with me, tonight."

I went silent after that not knowing what to say to him. I mean he was handsome and kind and warm but I barely knew him and I didn't want to jump into anything so soon.

'Seriously, it's been four years.' My subconscious chided me. It wasn't as if he was going to treat me badly, not all men were Yale. And besides it was just dinner between two "friends".

"Umm hello?"

"Yes. Yes I'd...love to." I replied a little hesitant.

We talked a while after that with him cracking me up even over the phone. He really did have a way to make me laugh. I ended the call with him assuring me he was going to text me the time and address for the dinner which I was really looking forward to now.

Still grinning to myself I picked up my bag and made my way out of the room and down the stairs looking for Yale. Voices coming from the kitchen caught my attention which made me draw close to the kitchen but out of view. Yale sat on one of the barstools dressed in a crisp white shirt and grey pants with winter on the counter top next to him in a pink nightie with an older woman busily cooking. Where had she come from? I hadn't seen her here yesterday. I thought to myself as I tuned my ear to listen to what Yale was saying.

"And that's your Aunt Bianca and Vivia and Anne and that's nonno. And these are your cousins Rico, Pepe, Maria, Bella and Nico." I heard him call out the names of his family one after the other.