Part 12

Yale's P.o.V
I watched, from where I sat as Santa Faye made a run out of the field like her life depended on it. Her naiveness and innocence was so annoying and amusing at the same time. I thought she knew I had left a hickey on her neck and didn't care about it, not knowing she actually had no idea there was one there. The look on her face when Federica had pointed it out to her was priceless and had made me laugh to myself.

Call me an arse but I didn't feel an ounce of guilt for not alerting her, hell it even made this whole charade more believable and from the way my grandfather had laughed his heart out, it was clear he was bought. Getting up from where I sat, I made my way over to where the rest were still in fits of laughter and talking among themselves.

"Seriously Ilario, couldn't you wait till she made a full recovery before you guys did the deed. And must you leave evidence of your act for everyone to see?" Ave inquired as she threw grapes at me, not allowing me to speak.

"Ahhhh, how I wish Theo was here and not on some stupid business trip." Federica chipped in with a look of longing on her face.

The only one who kept silent and didn't talk was my nonno who seemed to be in deep thought.

"Nonno stai bene?"(Grandfather are you okay). I turned to him to ask with concern.

"Huh?!.....si si sto bene(yes yes I'm fine) come with me." He absentmindedly said leading the way from the rest and out of the field.

We walked side by side making small conversation till we got inside the house and into his study. I sat down, making myself comfortable in one of the chairs to rest my tied leg as he poured himself a drink.

"You know, I'm really glad you have moved on from whatever happened in the past and I know it must be hard seeing both of them here." He said as he took a sip of his drink with his back turned to me.

I clenched my jaw for a moment before relaxing, if only he knew how much I still held on to the pain, rage and hate.....if only he knew.

"Santa Faye, she really is something special isn't she?" He turned to face me.

"Si Nonno." I said with a broad smile.

"For how long have you two been together and how did you meet?" My grandfather asked getting straight to the point.

I had been expecting this question since the time I arrived, but it sounded strange hearing it out loud.

"Three months after the accident and we meet at work, It just kind of happened. I saw her during a meeting one day and something just clicked. One thing led to another and now here we are, engaged to be married." I half lied.

"Is it not too soon to be getting married after a short while?" He asked again.

"You always told me to go after what I want and not waste time contemplating, and women like her are hard to come by these days Nonno."

"Hmmmm, I see. Do you love her?"

I went silent for a minute, thinking of the appropriate answer to give my grandfather. Love was now a foreign word to me and to be asked if I loved a complete stranger was really something but hey, this was a charade and not the real deal.

"Tu la ami?"(do you love her).

"Si." I muttered out not looking at my grandfather for fear of him seeing right through this lie.

"Ahhh good, good." He bellowed out with a grin on his face.

"I'm so proud of you, and I think you fully ready to take over all holdings from me. You have showed me you have great strength and will power to overcome burdens and honestly I'm really getting tired of overseeing to all our businesses." He said in all seriousness taking one last sip of his drink before setting it down.