15 | Chapter Fifteen

Start from the beginning

"My parents didn't say," Shaz said slowly, almost in a whisper.

Macey hesitated. Yikes, I came off rather rude. She could see the vast amount of information scattered across the table, taking into account that Shaz went through a lot of effort to collect it all. It made her look glum. Her make up wasn't as on point like the other days, and the large quantity of caffeine was most likely to ease her nerves from exploding.

"Thank you," muttered Macey, locking eyes with a worrisome Shaz. "And thank you for the coffee. You are the best."

Although it looked strenuous, Shaz smiled. "Anything for you Mace. We ain't best friends for nothing."

She then handed Macey a book. It was crimson red with island designs along the spine. Upon opening it, a cloud of dust released itself from the pages, making her stifle a sneeze. When her sinuses cleared, she began to read the contents of the book, gasping at the mere sight of such title.

Hine-Nui o Marama. The maiden of the moon.

Below the title was an image of a woman with long raven hair and flawless ebony skin. She laid in the white sands of what seemed to be her home island, her arms splayed above her head. Around her neck was an adornment that shone red like rubies, glowing proficiently with a power that Macey could not explain. It was the blood moon amulet.

"Once known as the child of the ocean, Hine-Nui also harboured the ability to harness lunar energy, magic that was past her from the previous moon mage, who was the mage of peace. At the age of eighteen, she inherited the name Hine-Nui o te Marama, the maiden of the moon from her tribe."

A muffled sigh left Macey's lips, becoming immensely disappointed. When she turned the page, all that she was was giant splotches of ink drowning the pages. But fortunate for her, one word was visible.

"Tuakana," breathed Macey, narrowing her eyes, attempting to spot anything else in the inky black pages.

Shaz tilted her head then pouted. "Doesn't that mean brother?"

"Yes," muttered Macey, shaking her head, wondering what the word brother meant in this situation. "Perhaps this maiden had a brother who was very important."

Macey looked down quizzically at the book. She remembered hearing about the men of all the Oceanic islands and how they held high stature and power. However, looking at the picture before her, the moon maiden was the one who had the blood moon amulet. Why did she have the adornment? And not him?

Sipping at her now lukewarm coffee, Macey turned the pages, becoming more and more disappointed by its content. This book is useless. It was all covered in ink, with no words linking or making any sense. She suppressed a sigh, but it wasn't enough. Shaz looked downcast.

"Sorry, Mace," sighed Shaz, rubbing the side of her arm. "Papa said the info was redeemed useless. Thought he just said that because it's in Maori."

Macey smiled, reaching over to a large parchment that was hanging off the side of the table. "It's fine, Shaz, that's only one book."

She stretched the parchment out, revealing a drawing of the blood amulet that had writing at the bottom. Macey narrowed her eyes at the words, curling the corner of her lip.