Chapter 2

I wake up to my to mother lightly knocking on my door.
"Honey, wake up. It's the first day of school!" She tries to open the door but I always lock it. "Okay."
I grumble and close my eyes again to sleep for just a minute.
"Honey, get up so you don't fall back asleep."
"Okay!" I shout.
She says something quietly and I feel bad, but I'll get over it. I force myself out of bed and switch on my light. My room lightens up and I immediately groan as my eyes burn from lack of sleep. No one ever sleeps on the night before school, it's just a fact. I ended up falling asleep at 1 and I have to wake up at 5:15 every morning for school. I grab my phone and open it to find 5 new messages from several friends saying
"Happy first day of school, love you! See ya there!"
I throw my phone back on my bed and walk into my closet. I spend about 3 minutes just standing there with my eyes closed. I'm gonna look like shit. I grab a basic v-neck and white jeans. I pull on my vans and make my way to my bathroom. I look at myself in the mirror. My long blonde hair is straight and a little messy. I'm satisfied with what I look like without make up. My tan skin brings out my brown eyes. I have long eye lashes and big lips.
I swipe on some mascara and thin eye liner. I brush on some eye shadow and powder.
I make my way downstairs and hear my mother throwing around bowls and pans. In a way I'm glad me and my mother live alone, it's just us being independent and fun together. My father left us 3 years ago, and she was never the same again. She's gotten extremely better lately.
I enter the kitchen and my mother smiles at me.
"You look cute." She beams.
"Thanks. I'm not hungry so I'm just gonna eat a banana." I say while pulling one off the bunch.
"No, sit." She demands. "You're not going until lunch on just a banana, you'll be starving."
I sigh and sit down. She places a plastic plate with eggs and bacon in front of me and I scarf it down fast. I look at the clock and I need to leave soon. I run upstairs and brush my straight white teeth fast. I got my braces off sophomore year and I've never been happier.
I grab my backpack and jog downstairs.
"Bye mom, love you." I quickly kiss her cheek and walk out to the garage. Juan, Quinn and I have a routine that we switch off driving everyday and today is my day. I hop in my car and pull out my phone to text in our group message that I'm on the way.
When I pull up to Quinn's driveway she squeals and runs out to give me a hug.
"Oh my god I'm so excited! First day of school! And we're SENIORS!" She screams and I cover my ears jokingly.
She hops in the back seat so her and Juan can sit next to each other.
"What am I? Your chauffeur?" I joke with her.
"Duh." She giggles.
When we arrive at Juan's less than a minute later she again runs up to him and jumps into his arms. She squeals and wraps her legs around his waist while he picks her up and spins her around.
When they're done and get in the car I open my door and act like I'm throwing up. They laugh and Quinn slaps me on the shoulder as I giggle and pull out of the driveway. Here we go... first day of school. A weird part of me thinks of my father for some reason. He always took me to school, he would always call me princess and he even had a painting made and I put it up in my room, it saying "Princess Liz". Of course he got it made when I was younger but I never got rid of it. I couldn't possibly do that. I hold back my tears and make my way to school. This better be a good year.