Unlikely Savior- Chapter 29

A/N:

Wow, okay. So, I started my first year of high school on Thursday and I'm actually surprised to say that it's a lot like middle school. A few things are different, of course, but it's pretty much the same thing. Anyways, so it's guaranteed that there is only this chapter and then the sad and happy endings + epilogues left for this story. So, here is chapter twenty-nine of Unlikely Savior for you all to enjoy!

~~~~

*Phil's POV*

I felt my legs being to shake as Dan laid in front of me, unconscious. My hands began to tremble as I tried to process what my eyes were seeing. Within seconds, I dropped down the ground and crawled over to his side, pushing his body over so he was on his back.

Just as I thought him being passed out was the worst thing, I found his whole face and body covered with bruises and scratches. There were giant red marks of some sort of pole looking object scattered in about three places, one on his head. I looked around before my eyes laid on a metal bat in the corner of the room.

“Dan, wake up,” I shook him, trying to get some sort of reaction. I placed my ear on his chest to find that he was still breathing. Quickly, I dialed 999 and told them what had happened. They left me with no advice on what to do while they were on the way, so I just sat there hopelessly.

I held onto Dan’s hand, stroking it slightly with my thumb as I stared down at the boy in terror. What if this was it? I couldn’t live with myself knowing Dan died while we were in such a bad place. I wouldn’t be able to go through my day to day life.

~~~~

About ten minutes passed before two men came rushing into the room. I slid back as they hovered over Dan, giving him an oxygen mask and sliding him onto a gurney. As they carried him out the room, one of the men turned his head towards me.

“Who are you?” he asked. I looked down before taking in a deep breath and announcing my status. “I’m his boyfriend,” I replied steadily and the man nodded. “Alright, you can come along,” he said before he ushered out the room with the other man, Dan between them.

As I sat at Dan’s side, the other man who carried him into the truck questioned me. “Can you tell me the name of your boyfriend, please?” he questioned and I stated his name as he scribble on a clipboard. “And, how did you find him like this?”

“His name is Dan Howell and we were having a bit of trouble,” I didn’t bother to go through the whole story, “And, I went by his place to sort things out. The door to his house was open and nobody was home, the place was a complete mess as you might’ve seen. I went into his room after scoping the rest of the house and found him passed out on the ground, and that’s when I called you.”

“Do you think you have any clue of what might’ve happened before you got to the house?” the man asked, jotting down the previous information I had given him. “By the looks of it, it could’ve been a robber and the robber attacked Dan. But, nothing valuable was missing, at least I don’t think so,” I shrugged as my lip quivered, “He told me his father abused him, though. He said he hadn’t done it in a while because he was never home, but he might’ve been home and things might’ve gotten very bad.”

The man nodded, listing down the last few lines before placing the pen and clipboard to the side. He looked up at me and placed his hand on my shoulder. “I can’t promise you that you’re boyfriend will be okay,” he sighed, “But, I want you to know that you caused none of this and that you did the right thing by calling us.” I looked down before the man headed to the front of the truck, leaving me alone with Dan.

And, that’s when the tears began to fall. I broke down into a sobbing mess, weeping heavily as I held tightly onto Dan’s hand. That man didn’t understand; all of this was my fault. If it was Dan’s father who did this, it was because he must’ve found out about me. If I hadn’t come into Dan’s life in the first place, his father would have nothing to find out, leaving Dan perfectly fine. I sobbed as I leaned my head over to his side. “I-I’m so sorry,” I whispered, shutting my eyes.

After a few moments, I leaned back and pushed myself away from Dan. I pulled out my phone and dialed up Sarah. “Phil? What happened?” she sounded confused, “You two were supposed to be fucking right now.” I shook my head, looking down at ground. “Phil?”

“I’m headed to the hospital, Sarah,” I whimpered, “Something really bad happened to Dan and we’re headed to A and E right now.” I heard Sarah gasp over the speaker. “Text me the address of the hospital and I’ll be right over,” she said and before I could even reject her decision, she hung up the phone.

I thought for a second, before deciding that maybe I should give Emma, Chris, and PJ a call. Even if they weren’t really a group anymore, they still had the right to know. I searched Dan’s pockets before finding and pulling out his phone. I scrolled through his contacts to find that he still had all three of their numbers still programmed into his phone.

I was too scared to dial Emma so I called whoever of the three was next on the list. I placed the phone to my ear and PJ’s voice immediately echoed through the speaker. “Dan?” a tone of hope shining through his voice. I shook my head, “No, it’s Phil.”

“Phil?” PJ questioned, the hope in his voice automatically switching to worry, “What’s wrong? Where’s Dan?” I sighed before mumbling an explanation of some sort. “Oh my God,” PJ whispered, “Okay, I’ll be there soon, just send me the address.” I nodded, realizing he couldn’t see me but he had already hung up the phone before I could say anything.

I placed the phone onto Dan’s chest before leaning my head back. I watched his face, his eyes swollen and purple and scratches scattered all over the place. The giant red mark contrasted with the blue bruises thrown around his features.

I leaned forward and grasped his hand, kissing his forehead. A tear slipped from my cheek and landed on his as I sniffled a bit. I laid my head on my arm, my mouth near his ear. I took in a short breath before whispering into his ear. “One more chance is all I ask.”

~~~~

JFC. When I first started this story, I didn’t expect it to be this emotional and dramatic. No teenage should ever have to go through this, and writing it makes me so sad. But yeah, the endings should be posted at the same time tomorrow. I hope you liked this chapter and don’t forget to leave your feedback like usual! Also, thank you for reading!