Unlikely Savior- Chapter 5

A/N:

Hello! So, I graduated yesterday and my gown was causing me to drench in sweat because it was like 90 degrees outside and we were forced to wait in the sun for about an hour. At least I just left my hair natural so I didn't really have to worry about it messing up because it already was. Anyways, enough of that. Here's chapter five of Unlikely Savior!

~~~~

*Phil's POV*

My smile widened right when I spotted Dan exiting the school doors and walking up to me, glancing around him every once in a while. I turned and began to walk, him eventually catching up to my side and bumping his shoulder against mine.

We walked in silence the entire way to his house, not necessarily feeling uncomfortable or anything. I actually liked the silence going on between us at that moment. It was like we didn’t need to be talking to understand each other.

We arrived at Dan’s ten minutes after leaving the school grounds, him holding the door open for me. I placed my bag down and flattened myself across his couch.

Dan frowned and crossed his arms jokingly, “Leave some room for me!” I giggled before moving over as he walked over and sat next to me, placing his books on the table. “You know my grade went up a whole letter since you’ve started teaching me,” Dan muttered as he began to open one of the books.

Suddenly I shut the book he was opening and slid it across the table. “Well if you’re doing so well,” I smiled, “I think we can skip a session, don’t you think?” He grinned, knowing exactly what I meant. We both didn’t want to study so he nodded and quickly got up, handing me a remote.

I crossed my legs as he sat back down and started up Mario Kart. Before I knew it, we were both screaming and laughing at one another uncontrollably.

~~

“Will you stop hitting me with shells?” Dan shouted as he swiveled around on the screen. “Nope,” I shook my head with a mischievous smirk on my lips as I launched another shell at Dan. Dan groaned as his kart flew back behind mine causing me to laugh and throw one more shell behind me, hitting him once more.

“So, why do we always study at my place and never at yours?” Dan suddenly asked, his eyebrows furrowed as he focused on the game. I shrugged, not wanting to actually tell him the truth. “My parents don’t like company,” I mumbled quickly, making up some sort of white lie.

“I’m sorry for earlier today,” Dan sighed, his eyes still focused on the screen, “For that whole thing with Emma.” I nodded but realized he wasn’t really looking at me. “It’s okay,” I spoke, “Thanks for not joining in on it.”

“Phil, you know I’m not like that,” he shrugged before I gave him a disbelieving look. “Are you sure about that?” I raised an eyebrow, not really wanting to remind him of how he used to treat me but at least let him know that he couldn’t just act as if we were best friends since the beginning.

Dan looked down a bit in shame and paused the game before looking over at me. “I’m sorry Phil,” he sighed as I looked at him, “For everything. For how I treated you back before we started talking, for not wanting to be seen with you, for just letting Emma and everyone pick on you while I stood there, for everything. You don’t deserve any of that. You’re too kind to have any of that cast onto you. I’m so sorry, Phil.”

I stayed silent and stared at Dan, dumbfounded, not really knowing how to reply to that. But, I found that I didn’t need to because within seconds, Dan had wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into a tight hug. After a few seconds of shock, I slowly placed my arms back around him and we remained in a hugging position for several minutes.

After the few moments, I pulled away and smiled at him. “Look, it’s alright Dan,” I nodded, “I know how important your reputation is to you and I know that you actually care for me even if it doesn’t seem like that in school. And as long as I know that, it’s okay.” Dan smiled weakly before I shoved his shoulder playfully and turned back towards the screen. “Now can we please continue our game?” I looked at him expectantly and he nodded before starting up the game once again.

Dan’s kart got ahead of me before I knocked him back once again with another shell, giggling as he groaned. “That’s it, Lester,” he frowned, “Hand over your remote, we’re done with this game.”

I laughed and shook my head, holding the remote behind me. “Make me,” I mocked his strict tone as I teased him with the remote. He tried to reach for the remote but I only moved it further behind me.

He pouted before trying to grasp me to hold still but I escaped running across the lounge. I stuck out my tongue childishly as he rolled his eyes and got up, chasing after me. I ran to the other side of the room and like that, we ended up playing a game of tag across his lounge.

I stopped after a few minutes of running around and began to gather some air. I really wasn’t the exercising type and by the looks of Dan almost falling to the ground, he wasn’t either.

After we both gathered our air, Dan held out his hand. “Now hand over the remote,” he looked desperately at me but I only shook my head. “That’s it,” he pouted before dashing towards me and launching himself.

We both toppled to the floor and fought over the remote, giggling like children. He finally managed to gain the remote from my hand and smirked. I pouted and crossed my arms as he shook his head.

We were both breathless as we gasped for as much air as possible. Suddenly, the tone of our surroundings changed as our breathing calmed down a bit. Dan was lying on top of me; our legs slightly tangled together, his arms supporting him on my chest.

It seemed as we both realized our position because in that moment our breathing kind of hitched simultaneously. He looked down at my face, gazing into my eyes as I looked back at his dark ones. He glanced down at my lips for several seconds as I followed his eyes before he looked back into mine.

Feeling my face burn up a bit, I ruined the moment and cleared my throat. “Um, Dan,” I interrupted his stare as he shook his head slightly as if he just got knocked out of a trance. He quickly jumped off of me and turned severely red, as I looked down a bit.

“So, you want something to eat?” he stuttered looking around, refraining from connecting his eyes with mine. I shook my head and glanced towards my watch before standing up and straightening myself out. “I actually have to go,” I grabbed my bag and watched him get up as well.

“Oh, alright,” he mumbled, sounding slightly disappointed as I began to open the door. I gave him a quick smile before turning and beginning to head out the door. I suddenly felt a grasp around my arm and turned back to see Dan looking at me. “Actually, there’s a party tomorrow night,” he let go of my arm and rubbed his own self-consciously.

“Yeah?” I looked at him in confusion as he looked towards his feet. “You want to come?” he looked back up at me as I widened my eyes. He raised an eyebrow at me and I shrugged a bit. “But, there’s going to be people from school there,” I slightly whispered.

“They’ll be too drunk to even notice you’re with me,” Dan grinned a bit, “Besides, I’m honestly done putting up with acting like I hate you in school.” My cheeks turned pink as I smiled at his comment. “Please?” he begged, causing me to let out a small giggle.

I thought for a few seconds before grinning and smiling, “I guess I’ll go.” Dan’s smile widened a lot as he jumped up a bit. I shook my head and smirked at him before turning back around. “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” I nodded before walking away from his house, feeling his eyes on my back.

~~~~

So, that was chapter five of Unlikely Savior! Hope you guys enjoyed it! Make sure to leave your feedback and all of that stuff and thanks for reading!