Unlikely Savior- Chapter 16

A/N: 

Sorry I haven't written, I had sort of a busy weekend and I kind of got hooked on the new book I got. Looking for Alaska by John Green, you all probably heard of it. JFC, it's so good, I love it so much. It still doesn't beat It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini though, that'll always be my all-time favorite book. Yeah so, here's chapter sixteen of Unlikely Savior!

~~~~

*Phil's POV*

“What is he doing here?” my mother hissed as her eyes swung to Dan. Dan shuffled back a bit, moving slightly behind me. He released his grip from around my body and looked around the room, directing his eyesight at anything except my mom.

“Mom listen, before you freak out or anything,” I talked steadily, trying my hardest not to seem frightened, “I feel like you should get to know Dan a bit, he’s honestly a good person.” She eyed Dan from head to toe, summing him up before sighing.

“Where were you last night?” she directed her concentration towards whatever she was making. Dan glanced at me with a pleading stare. “Uh, I went to a party at a friends and they let me stay over for the night,” I quickly made something up, hoping I sounded convincing enough. She didn’t bother to question me about it any further.

“I did my studying and all of that before I left,” I pointed out watching as her shoulders relaxed slightly. Dan looked confusedly at me but I just shook my head dismissively at him. “Okay well, if you’re so insistent for me to get to know Dan,” she broke the silence, “He can stay for breakfast.”

I grinned as Dan smiled lightly before I directed him towards the dining table and sat by his side. I elbowed his arm to reassure him that nothing was going to happen to him as long as I was watching and he just grinned nervously. As we waited for the food, Dan quietly tapped his plate anxiously with his utensils.

My mom eventually came out of the kitchen with a stack of pancakes, both me and Dan staring at the plate hungrily. “Didn’t eat?” the two of us shook our heads in responses as she slid two pancakes on each of our plates. Once she sat down, the three of us immediately dove into our meals in silence.

“So, how’d you meet Phil?” my mom looked up from her plate at Dan with a cold stare. He glanced at me and I quickly nodded to let him know I was right there next to him. “Well, our teacher assigned him to tutor me in some of my classes,” he started out nervously, “And, we had a lot of common interests so we easily became friends.”

“Are you saying you do badly in school?” she pushed as she chewed on her food. Dan shuffled a bit in his seat before nodding, looking ashamed. “But, he’s been doing much better since I began to tutor him,” I piped in as Dan exhaled in relief.

“That’s good,” my mom muttered as she took a sip from her mug, “So, what was that whole event that occurred last week?” I groaned as the question came up, knowing it was going to come up eventually. Dan looked down at his meal, not knowing how to answer before I took over.

“Dan just got a bit drunk at the party and I helped him out by letting him stay here. I didn’t want to be rude so I let him sleep in my bed,” I explained, slipping in white lies, “Dan explained to me that he sort of ran off the next morning because he didn’t want to be in any more trouble with his parents than he already knew he was.”

I finished talking and my mom leaned back in her seat, seeming to contemplate whether she should believe me or not. She quickly finished her meal before picking up the plate and putting it in the kitchen sink as Dan and I sat in silence. She came back within seconds and sat back down, placing her elbows onto the table with quite some force causing Dan to look up.