Unlikely Savior- Chapter 10

A/N:

Hello! So, yeah I went to the beach yesterday and it was fun. I think it helped me clear my head a bit so I think I've got this chapter down. But, sorry if the chapter is still a bit short, I'm trying my hardest here. Anyways, I hope you enjoy chapter ten of Unlikely Savior!

~~~~

*Phil's POV*

“Hey Philly!” Sarah jogged up to me and pecked me on the cheek with a smile plastered onto her lips. My expression immediately changed into a grin as I turned and wrapped my arms affectionately around her. When I let her go, the smile was gone and so was mine as my eyes filled with concern. “What’s wrong?” I stared into her eyes as I tried to get a read of her emotions as she sighed heavily.

“Listen Phil, I think we need to talk for a second,” she rubbed the back of her neck and I quickly pulled her away from the other students ears. We both sat down in an empty spot of the school under a tall tree, shading us from the uncommon sun, as she sighed deeply.

“I don’t think we should be a couple,” she blurted out right as we hit the ground. I looked bewildered at her and remained silent, hoping she’d give some sort of explanation. “Look Phil, I really like you and you know that,” I nodded as I listened, “But, I can see you don’t recuperate those same kinds of feelings.”

“What are you talking about? Of course I like you,” I reassured her causing her to smile slightly and shake her head. “Yeah, but not in the way I like you,” she played with the grass below us, looking slightly hurt as she spoke.

I stared blankly ahead of me as I got lost in my own thoughts. I did like her, she was just being oblivious. She was nice and sweet and always there to talk, and I really enjoyed her company. But then again, I also always felt kind of weird when we kissed or did romantic coupley things. It felt like something was off, and I could tell I wasn’t the only one who felt like that, she felt it too.

“I guess you’re right,” I shook away my trance and repositioned my stare towards her, “I’m sorry.” She shook her head dismissively at my apology to let me know it was alright. I looked down and began to mimic her actions, picking at the blades of grass as well. “I wish I liked you in that way. I really do,” I mumbled, almost inaudibly as if I was talking to myself, “I just don’t know what’s stopping me.”

“I do,” she spoke up a bit as I turned towards her, “Dan.” I laughed a bit too obnoxiously right as she finished saying the name. “Why on Earth would he be the thing stopping me from liking you?” I giggled but immediately shut myself up as I noticed Sarah’s serious expression.  

“Because you like him, Phil,” she smirked a bit at my repulsed look, “You have a crush on Dan Howell.” She chuckled as she shoved me playfully causing my cheeks to flush red. “I do not,” I gasped at the comment, “Yeah, maybe I may have liked him a little bit before, but after that whole seen I realized that he’s not the person I made him out to be.”

“He’s scared, Phil,” she explained, “I don’t know him very well but I could see he’s been acting differently, everyone can.” I kept silence as I continued to listen to what Sarah had to say. It was almost as if she was convincing me to like him even though she had just admitted she liked me a minute ago.

“Dan’s known to be that harsh bully around here and you know that,” she ranted, “But, he kind of just stopped being so mean and I’m going to go on a limb and assume that’s about the time you started tutoring him. Right when you started the tutoring sessions, he sort of faded out of his reputation and became like every other student.”

“You changed him for the better Phil; you made him a better person. I noticed the way he looked at the two of us for the eternity of last week. You’re making him feel things that he never felt before and he doesn’t understand them. So, he did the first thing anybody would do and defended him from these emotions that day in the hallway.”

I shook my head as the last sentence flew out of her mouth. None of it was true; it was all just in her head. I didn’t like Dan and Dan had no feeling whatsoever towards me. The two of us started off as enemies and should’ve stayed like that. We weren’t meant to be together, as friends or as anything in general. The two of us were meant to hate one another and that is how it’d always be.

But, maybe she was right and I was just being in denial. Dan did refrain himself from violence once I began to tutor him. He even went out of his way to make sure that he was forgiven for how he used to treat me. He defended me at the party and got pretty jealous when he saw me with Sarah.

People always said: you’re more honest when you’re drunk, and maybe they were right. Maybe the only reason Dan got so freaked out about the kiss was because he felt something when it happened. Though, it wasn’t like I was going to forgive just like that. I mean he punched me in the face and called me a fag, I couldn’t just go back to acting as if everything was okay between us because it obviously wasn’t.

Then again, he wasn’t the only one to be blamed for everything that had happened. I did kind of make a scene in front of everyone. He did have a reputation to keep up and I only put it at risk by talking about our kiss and everything we went through so publicly. It wasn’t a surprise that he lashed out like he did, I had no right to announce everything like that.

But now that I thought about it, I don’t know why I got so mad about him shutting me out as well. It felt as if I had lost something so very important just by him ignoring me. And I couldn’t deny that I did feel sparks, as cliché as it sounded, when we kissed.

Maybe the thing the felt wrong about kissing Sarah was the fact that she wasn’t Dan. Maybe the reason I felt so wrong kissing her was because maybe I hadn’t gotten over Dan. Maybe I just slightly pushed the feelings I had for him aside because I was so frustrated with him.

“Okay, so maybe I do like him a bit,” my cheeks turned red at my words, “It’s not like he likes me back, he’s obviously homophobic and with Emma.” Sarah giggled a bit at my words and shook her head, “Didn’t seem like that for the last week, it’s obvious Emma is just his beard.”

I smiled a little bit before Sarah hopped up and helped me get up as well. We quickly dusted ourselves off before I hung my arm around he shoulders and the bell rang, signaling first period. “Thanks for being so cool with everything,” I walked along her side as she nodded.

The two of us stopped outside my class and I unlaced my arm from her. “If I can’t have you as a boyfriend I don’t want to lose you as a friend either,” she pecked my cheek and nudged me in the arm. Just as I was about to enter the class she stopped me and turned me back around. “Actually, there’s a party coming up this weekend and I think you should come along with me,” she suggested before I nodded without a second thought.

She smiled before waving me off and running to her own class. I turned and pushed open the door, Dan not being in the room once again like the last two days. I sighed; sounding slightly disappointed but quickly shrugged it off. It wouldn’t have been any better seeing him with Emma anyways. Besides, I had a party coming up and he’d most definitely be there.

~~~~

So that chapter came out a bit better than I thought it would, though I still feel like it’s kind of bad. Did you guys enjoy it? I hope you did! Make sure to leave your feedback and everything and thank you for reading!