Unlikely Savior- Chapter 23

A/N:

God dammit guys! I planned to have this story done by last month. I really need to work on my procrastination. Anyways, here's chapter twenty-three of Unlikely Savior!

~~~~

*Phil's POV*

It had been two weeks since I’d had my fit with Dan over the phone and they had been nothing but hell. Every day I had to face the torture of seeing Dan sulking around like some sort of lost puppy. And, I was pretty sure I looked exactly the same.

I didn’t want to call what happened between Dan and me a break up, but I had to come to terms that it indeed was. We were doing everything that broken up couples did, so it must’ve meant we were through. Neither of us tried to confront one another, no matter how many opportunities we got, I was miserable, and I felt as if I’d just lost a giant part of me, which was what I assumed a break up felt like.

Day by day, I had to sit across the room from him in English and watch him mindlessly play with some eraser shavings on his desk. I didn’t even care if I looked like some sort of heart broken fool, staring at Dan for forty minutes straight every day.

I knew the two of us were the topic around the school, everyone immediately finding out about the two of us being together, and now people were beginning to notice that things were most likely done. More than half of the school supported our relationship, actually being genuinely happy for us. The other half just shot us disapproving looks and mumbled slurs at us, but it was nothing we couldn’t ignore.

But, now that word was getting around that Dan and I were no longer an item, most of the supporters fled to my side. It wasn’t like I wanted it to pan out like some sort of war, but that’s how it was turning out. Everyone who supported our relationship now hated on Dan as well.

Honestly, none of it made me feel better. I appreciated that people wanted to comfort me but giving shit to Dan wasn’t helping out one bit. It only made me feel worse when I passed him in halls. He was always alone, now that his group left him, and most people hated him for either liking a guy or for breaking up with a guy.

It made me feel so guilty. I’d made too big of a deal of what he said and now it led to all of this. He didn’t deserve the crap he was getting; I did. I was the one who was being such a baby and crying over all of Dan’s flaws. But, then again, maybe it was all just a sign that things between me and Dan were never supposed to work out.

Maybe it was for the better that I wasn’t around Dan anymore. I couldn’t just stick around and be his boyfriend at one point but then act as if there was nothing between us the next. Maybe it wasn’t a big deal to others, but when Dan said things like what he said in the hallway when we were outed, it didn’t make me feel good at all. It made me feel quite the opposite, and I didn’t think I could deal with that if I did come crawling back to him.

But, on the other hand, maybe I was overthinking the situation. Maybe if I did come back to Dan, he’d be more careful with his words and actions. I had my slip ups as well, everyone did, so I couldn’t just go acting like Dan was the only one who had made mistakes before. Dan had a lot on his hands, I couldn’t blame him for accidently letting things escape his mind every once in a while

But, if he was saying those things, they must’ve been coming from somewhere. I couldn’t be with him, having the feeling that somewhere inside, he was thinking badly of me. I had no idea what I wanted to do. I didn’t want to enter a toxic relationship, but I didn’t even know if Dan was toxic. It was all just too much for me to handle, so instead of getting things together, I pushed all my problems away, hoping that eventually everything would sort itself out on its own.

~~

Monday morning came around and I opened my eyes to my mom standing over me, her arms crossed. A frown spread across her lips as she looked down at me. My heart sank a bit as I recognized the familiar look written in her expression.

“You didn’t think I’d just let you skip school, did you?” she scrunched her nose, “Now, I may have changed from my old ways, but that doesn’t mean I don’t care about your education.” She quickly yanked my sheets off of my body, causing me to curl up to shield myself from the oncoming burst of cold air.

“Now come on, you’re already going to be late and I need to head to work,” she stepped back to give me room to get up. I groaned and slowly rolled over, falling out of the bed, letting out another noise of frustration.

My mom smiled before heading out the room, waving behind her. “Okay, I’m off for work,” she called, “See you later, love you.” I lied on the floor for a few moments, staring blankly up at the ceiling. Eventually, I took a deep breath and pushed myself off the floor.

I surfed through my wardrobe before throwing on some old jumper and a pair of skinny jeans that I had used two days ago and didn’t bother to wash. I couldn’t be bothered to dress nicer, seeing as I no longer had anyone to impress.

I then dragged my feet to the bathroom and brushed my teeth before heading downstairs. I no longer had to look good for anybody so I didn’t lay a finger on my bed head. I was already about ten minutes late and had no appetite so I grabbed everything I need before heading to the school.

By the time the building came into sight, I had decided I couldn’t handle seeing Dan’s face once again. I was just about to pass the building but someone had grabbed me by the arm and began to direct me towards to the entrance.

“You’re not going anywhere, mister,” Sarah’s voice came flowing into my ears, “You’re going to your first period class and then we’re going to have a talk.” I sighed as Sarah directed me to my first period class, shoving me into the room and shaking her head at me. I glanced at the teacher for a second before heading to my seat, not paying attention to everyone’s stares.

As soon as I exited the room, I once again felt Sarah pulling me down the halls and out the doors. We sat behind the tree from when I realized I still had feelings for Dan. My heart stung for a minute as the memory flashed through my head.

The two of us both sat and I looked at the ground with an emotionless expression. “Okay Phil, I’m done with this attitude of yours,” Sarah began to speak, “You’ve been doing nothing but sulking around for the past two weeks.”

“Look, I know you’re kind of messed up about this whole thing with Dan but I can’t see you like this,” she ranted, “You have two options here, you either want to be with Dan, or you don’t. If you do, then you’re going to grow a pair and go talk things out with him. If you don’t, then you’re going to stop being a whiny brat and get over it. Either way, you’re going to stop with this whole act of yours because I’m pretty sure everyone’s tired of it.”

I stayed silent for a minute, thinking over Sarah’s speech. She had a point; I wasn’t getting anywhere acting like this. But, there was one problem. “But that’s the point Sarah,” I mumbled, “I don’t know what I want.”

“Well, here’s what we’re going to do,” she got up and pulled me up as well, “Now that I’ve gotten to say what I needed to say, we can cut the rest of the day and get some ice cream, on me, and help you make up your mind.” I nodded before Sarah grabbed my arm and pulled the two of us away from the school, deleting any chance of me possibly seeing Dan for the rest of the day.

~~~~

So, I think I might update twice today because I really want to get this story done with. There’s only going to be a few more chapters so I just want to get them done before school starts next week. Did you guys enjoy this chapter? Make sure to leave your feedback on what you thought and thank you for reading!