Chapter 183

Depuis le début

"Yes, yes surely, we could wait for them. After all, Diwali is only three weeks away, there's no hurry" said Ajay's mother eagerly. 

"But Maa..." Ajay reminded his mother.

He wasn't interested in Gauri's money, all the money in the world was not enough to tie him in matrimony, no, he was interested in Gauri's body. "I really like Gauri...ji"  he said. 

"Brother, when Maa and Baba have agreed, why are you throwing a tantrum?" Mukesh scolded his brother. 

He was embarrassed of his family, with his brother's lust for Gauri, and his mother's lust for her wealth. 

"Its okay Mukesh ji. Let me suggest something? Let us get the Roka done now, the wedding and other functions can be decided and conducted later? There is only one issue, my relatives are not here, so they can't arrange a Roka like Richa's" said Gauri. 

Ajay couldn't believe his luck, the doe was walking in his trap willingly. 

"Of course, Gauri, there is no problem in that. We can have a low key formal engagement, my family will arrange everything, and you don't have to pay for anything" assured Ajay. 

Gauri smirked. 

Ajay's mother looked uncomfortable but she kept her silence, after all Gauri's sister would bring in a lot of money later. "Then its decided. I think two days from now will be a good day for the Roka?" 

"Yes, Auntyji. But there is just this one thing, though my relatives are out of India, I have a lot of friends here, and in Bareilly. Obviously, they would all like to attend my Roka. And of course, Richa's relatives are like my own, so the would be coming too. So, would Ajay ji be so kind to gifts for all of them?" said Gauri innocently. 

"Sure, sure anything" said Ajay casually. 

Richa could see what Gauri was doing. Her in-laws were going to have a taste of their own demands. 

"Thank you. I will have a list ready and send it you by tonight" said Gauri sweetly. 

***************************************

"You are having fun doing this, aren't you?" asked Richa. 

It was evening. 

Gauri was sitting with some chai and pakoda, with a pen and paper in her hand. She just got free, after her tutoring the kids. 

"Well, you've got to admit, its not often that girls get this opportunity. I'm relishing the thought of making them pay, literally" said Gauri, as she massaged the pen cap against her forehead, thinking of other things to add to the list of presents for the Roka. 

Richa chuckled, and said, "All this is fine Gauri, but are you really keen on marrying this Ajay? Mukesh told me, that even though he is his brother, he's not really a good catch."

"I've just agreed for the Roka" was all Gauri said. 

Richa frowned at her words, but sealed her lips.

Omkara heard the entire exchange. 

Omkara was sure Gauri didn't mean to marry that guy, but he also knew the emotionally fragile position she was in, because of him. What if she decides to engaged to that Ajay, properly, after all?

No, he must show more faith in his feelings, in her feelings. 

"Arey Dilpreet ji, what are you doing standing there? Have chai pakoda with us" said Richa, as she noticed Dilpreet standing at his door. 

"Aho ji" replied Dilpreet and promptly came and sat down with them.

"Thank you for being so understanding, Dilpreet Ji. You shifted here just four days ago, and there has been so much happening, absolutely no privacy for you, and on top of that you are spending so much of your time helping us as well. Not a lot of tenants would be so accommodating" said Richa.

"Aho ji, why? Arey Richa Ji we Punjabis like fun and dance and music and noise. This is exactly the kind of environment that I love" said Dilpreet, lying through his teeth. 

Gauri looked up from her list. Omkaraji and claiming to like noise, and not his quiet room?

"Achcha? But I thought artists like peace and calm?" asked Gauri, arching an eyebrow. 

"Ha, that they do" said Omkara without thinking. 

Gauri smirked slightly, while Richa looked confused. 

"I mean, I mean, I am sure artists like peace and all, but main artist thodi hu, main toh Dilpreet hu (but I'm not an artist, I'm Dilpreet)" Dilpreet laughed weakly at his own silly joke. 

Richa still looked a little taken aback by the exchange. 

"I think I am done with the list. Let me click a pic and whatsapp it to Ajay" mused Gauri. 

"No!" exclaimed Dilpreet. 

Both Gauri and Richa looked surprised by that overreaction.

"I mean, I mean, you hardly know him, and you are not even engaged. Let Richa Ji send it to Mukesh. Its the same thing. I'm just, you know, making a suggestion" stuttered Dilpreet. 

Omkara didn't think it safe for that shady fellow to have Gauri's number. 

Gauri saw her error immediately. "I think you are right. Richa, can you take a photo of this long list and send it to Mukesh ji?" 

Richa nodded and did as her friend asked. 

"Now I have just another task" said Gauri.

"What?" asked Richa. 

"Ask my friends from Bareilly to come to the Roka of course" said Gauri.

"But Gauri....do you think....its safe to call a bunch of kids from there? I mean, surely their parents would come to know, and even if the incident is months old, we don't know who might  blab" said Richa, a little worried. 

"Richa, your friends are coming to the wedding already, and they will see me there. Its not like I'm going back to Bareilly. I know, I can't" said Gauri, recollecting how she was exiled from her zila. 

Omkara could see her face falling. He will have to do something about it.