Chapter 160

Gauri was wondering what brought her here. 

She was supposed to go back home after the classes, but she felt she just needed some...peace. She wasn't really one of those persons seeking solitude. She loved people, and spreading laughter and joy. 

But of late, life had been throwing bouncers (a kind of bowling technique in cricket, similar proverb is life throwing curveballs) at her, and she felt the need to sit and contemplate. 

She looked at the calm ocean before her. Was it just a few days back that she was enjoying walking along the beach at Bandra? She was still looking at the sea, albeit in Juhu, but she didn't feel any tranquility in her heart. 

"What's up?" asked a voice behind her. 

Gauri nearly jumped out of her skin, and turned to see Omkaraji standing behind her. 

"Omkaraji, hamaara dil hamaare munh mein pahuch gaya tha! (My heart jumped to my mouth!) exclaimed Gauri. "What were you thinking, scaring me like that?" 

"Sorry....I was just trying to surprise you" said Omkara, looking apologetic. 

"That you did" said Gauri, still clutching her chest, her heart beating erratically. 

After a minute, or so, Gauri realized the Omkaraji has probably, rarely, done anything spontaneous like this, so he might be felling odd

"So, what brings you here?" asked Gauri.

"Nothing, you weren't home, I tried calling you, but you didn't pick up. I took a guess that you might be here. Remember last time you were here, when you found out about your biological identity. So, I thought....." Omkara left his sentence on a suggestive note. 

"Yes, you guessed right. I'm tired of standing, I think I'l sit now" said Gauri, and suited her words to action.

Omkara sat down beside her. He didn't say anything, but waited for Gauri to resume. 

"I'm just....feeling happy but also sad, and a little guilty" said Gauri. 

"Guilty?" asked Omkara, confused.

"I know I shouldn't. Jiji told me I shouldn't, but it can't be denied right, that my mother died bringing me into this life?" said Gauri. 

"Gauri, if you feel guilty, then I should too. And so should Rudra and Prinku. After all, its because of us siblings, that our mother gave up her profession, which ultimately led to cracks in her marriage, which ultimately led to her becoming an alcohol addict, which ultimately led to me falling into drugs and depression" said Omkara.

Gauri just looked at Omkara dumbfounded.

"See? This is what I mean. Life is made up of so many variables, we don't know which of our actions are going to have what consequence. And in your case, you didn't do anything. You were just a baby. It was fate and circumstances, and no one can fight any of these. I can't believe I'm explaining this to you, who are such a strong believer of fate and God's decisions" said Omkara, shaking his head.

Gauri nodded her head slowly, and looked at the sea. 

"Is this the only thing bothering you about your past?" asked Omkara.

"Hmm...no. Its like I felt guilty, for somewhere being responsible for my mother's death, but more than that, for snatching away Annika Jiji's mother from her. And I think that's what made me more guilty. You see, Annika Jiji at least got to be with our mother for five years, but I didn't get to feel any affection from my biological mother. I think, my first instinct was one of jealousy, and then I felt embarrassed of that emotion, and remembered that had it not been for me Annika Jiji would have never lost our mother in the first place. Its really complicated" said Gauri.