Chapter 74

"Jahnvi, please, I'm sorry." said Tej, apologizing again profusely for the nuisance Svetlana created in Jahnvi's parents home. 

"Tej, wasn't it enough that your infidelities ruined my family and this home, that it had to enter my parents' house too?" Jahnvi almost screamed. "That woman...she defiled my parents' house, she dared to enter my parents house, and why? Because of you. We are all suffering because of you. And in any case, why did she choose to target me? First she tried to ruin my business, then she tried to defraud my son's deal in his office, then she tried to kill me, and finally when nothing else could happen she tried to marry my son by blackmailing him. Tej, tell me honestly, are you involved in all this?" asked Jahnvi furious with Tej

Tej was shocked.

"Jahnvi, I know I am a pathetic excuse for a human being, but do you think I would conspire with Svetlana to kill you? And if I wanted to marry her so desperately than would I try to marry her off with my son? Oh, for god sakes, the video leaking out could mean slander on the Oberoi name, you think I would conspire to ruin my own family reputation?" Tej asked of Jahnvi, hurt by her accusations. 

"Honestly Tej, we have reached a point in our relationship, that I just cannot see even the slightest trace of the person I once loved many years ago. I think I don't know you at all." said Jahnvi, disappointment etched in all her features. Saying her piece, Jahnvi left the room.

Tej thought he was going to make some progress with rebuilding his relationships. But all his efforts derailed with Jahnvi's accident last week.

Svetlana. Why did she go to Jahnvi's parents house? To confront Omkara? What was her motive? Because marrying Tej was no longer her agenda.

Tej sweared to himself to find out, and rid his family of this woman.

**************************

It was nighttime. Omkara and Gauri had passed the entire by avoiding each other, except in the evening when had Svetlana barged in, and at mealtimes. Now there was no escape. Gauri avoided going into his room, as much as she could, but she was sleepy and Nani was hovering around, looking curious. So, Gauri slowly made her way to his room.

She entered to see Omkara standing near his bed, facing away from her, she could only see his back. 

"Since, you are hell bent on not sleeping on the bed, I see no point of suffering on the floor." he announced, as he felt her presence.

"I never said that you should suffer in your room. I told you I don't need the bed." whispered Gauri. 

Omkara paused. They stood in silence for sometime, until the silence became too heavy for Gauri, who was anyways not accustomed to staying quiet for longer than five minutes.

"That Sultana...she is definitely bluffing about the video. Otherwise, she would have threatened to go to the police today itself...." Gauri was cut off by Omkara

"Yes, yes, I remember your methodical analysis from morning of how Svetlana is probably lying. Your deduction skills are admirable. But perhaps, you don't trust me?" mocked Omkara, as he turned to face her. 

Gauri was stumped, from where did he get this idea? 

She thought back to the conversation she had in the morning with Omkaraji's Nana. She remembered putting forth various alternatives of what a person like Svetlana would do if she was actually assaulted, and what would be her next move. 

She didn't say that she didn't think that Omkaraji could assault a woman. She didn't say that she could never imagine him being capable of that. She didn't say that she trusted him, because she thought he knew she trusted him, otherwise she wouldn't have agreed to stay in this fake marriage with him. But why does it matter to him if she doesn't trust him?