Chapter 35

Rudy saw his phone buzzing when he returned from his morning gym workout. It was flashing a name that instantly brought a smile to his face.

"Mallika didi! How are you?" asked Rudy cheerfully as he answered the phone.

"I'm am good Rudy, but tum na apne dimaag ka check up kara lo. (You need to get your brain checked)." said Mallika, good-humoredly

"Why Didi? I think its fine." said Rudra, feeling his head.

"You sent your internship application to our family, the Ranas? You know Siddharth was so shocked when he saw it, he called me from office to ask whether it was some sort of weird prank. It is not a prank, is it?" asked Mallika suddenly suspicious.

"Of course not Didi, I genuinely want to intern in the Ranas group of companies. They are, perhaps, the only business where I won't be be treated like a celebrity, and would actually learn the trade." explained Rudy.

"Oh, yes, that definitely makes sense. Siddharth was busy thinking that this internship was a ploy to get corporate secrets, honestly! I'll tell him in the evening, maybe, that this is a genuine internship application." said Mallika.

"In the evening? Why not tell him now? I mean, you can just call him" said Rudy.

"Yes, I can but then he'll find out where I am." said Mallika, in a off-hand way.

"Find out where you are? Mallika didi, you didn't....?" said Rudy, suspecting the worst.

"Well, what was I supposed to do? I accidentally spilled coffee on his files this morning, so now I am hiding." confessed Mallika.

Rudy chuckled. Mallika didi had some issues confronting her problems. Last year she ran away from her wedding because she couldn't confront Siddharth and his family about her very valid reservations regarding their marriage. Rudy's best memory was when Mallika didi fled after she accidentally got a chewing gum stuck in Om's long locks. That memory still brought tears of laughter in his eyes. 

"Anyways Rudra, as far as I know you, this is drastic step. Let me guess, something big must have happened to bring about this change?" Mallika queried.

"Nothing major Mallika didi, I just wanted to do something on my own, and not always get everything because I'm privileged." said Rudy

"Woah...that sounds like something Om would say. Did he put up you up to this? But then you've been with Om your entire life, and the effect is showing now, so it must've been someone else." said Mallika. 

Rudy hastily diverted the topic, because for some reason, though he really liked Mallika didi, he didn't want to confront that issue yet. "So Mallika didi, what do you think are the chances of my getting the internship?" he asked

"Now, don't feel bad Rudy, but your grades are not really good. I think they'll do final review of the applications once your college term is finally over. So, I guess if you did really well in the final year-end exams, you could still clinch it." said Mallika, encouragingly. 

"Thanks for your take on this Mallika didi. I'll catch up with you later then." said Rudy.

"Bye Rudra. Take care and next time we meet, give me all the gossip!" said Mallika.

Rudra kept the phone down and thought to himself. Yes, there was a big change in his life, and he knew who to attribute that to. Its just sorting out those feelings was a little murky right now, and he didn't want to get into it. Looks like Mallika didi was not the only one running away from something here.