Chapter 122

Omkara didn't show up to breakfast next morning. 

Gauri wondered whether it was because of their altercation last night, then she wondered whether she was being foolish. Yesterday night she thought he came to the kitchen to talk to her, today morning she thought he skipped breakfast because of her. She was giving herself too much importance. Gauri shook her head thinking this. 

"Gauri, what are you thinking?" asked Annika, looking with concern at her younger sister. 

"Nothing" Gauri said quickly, a little too quickly to seem casual.

Annika wanted to know what was bothering her sister, but she remembered about last night. Before she and Shivaay had got busy. That thought made her blush. 

Gauri observed that and involuntarily giggled. Annika didn't realize that Gauri had seen her blush, and she gave her younger sister an admonishing look. "Chutki" Annika scolded slighly, knowing that she was caught. 

"What are you two sisters whispering about?" asked Shivaay. 

"Nothing" said Annika "I was just about to ask Gauri if she is free to accompany me today."

Annika explained Gauri about the guest list. Gauri agreed. She had work from home today, and her classes in the late afternoon. She could go with Annika in the morning. 

So, after breakfast both the sisters went to address mentioned in the old file. 

"Madam, are you sure that this is the address?" asked the driver of their car, as he drove them to a sightly old neighborhood in the city. 

"Thats what it says on the paper" said Annika. Gauri was perplexed too. 

Annika and Gauri got down from the car, and stared at a slightly dilapidated house. 

"Well, this house has certainly seen better days" said Gauri. 

Though old, it was evident that this neighborhood was inhabited by families who were financially well off, not rich, but definitely from a higher strata of middle class at that time. Most of the houses in the neighborhood were locked up though. 

"Jiji, I don't think there is anyone living in this house anymore" said Gauri. 

'Well, we've come this far, and I told Shivaay that I would do this for him" said Annika. 

The sisters stepped inside the house, as it wasn't locked. 

Gauri looked at Annika to see her expression being mirrored in her sister's eyes: this was odd, what happened here?

The house was covered in a blanket of dust. Everything seemed like they were viewing it through brown colored glasses. The house had two floors. The ground floor had a kitchen- cum- dining room and hall, while the floor upstairs seemed to house the three bedrooms and bath. 

Gauri quickly took a round of the ground floor of the house and went to survey upstairs. After a few minutes, she came downstairs again.

"Jiji, I think, whoever lived here, years ago, they had to leave in a rush. Looks like they took everything of need and importance, and left to wherever they have to. I think they intended to come back someday because considering this is Mumbai, where space is scarce, this would be an expensive house. They wouldn't just leave it, like that....." Gauri stopped talking as she saw Annika still standing at the same spot, looking dazed. 

"What happened, Jiji?" asked Gauri quietly, bringing out of her trance. 

"Chutki, I've been here before.....I know this place.....its....." and quite suddenly, Annika fainted.