Chapter 1

Shivaay was worried. Deeply worried. It was nearing night fall and Om hadn't returned. He had left just after he assured him and Rudy that he was fine. But Shivaay knew nothing was fine. Something broke. Something snapped. His soft, soulful brother, his companion since childhood, his Om was not the same. 

Shivaay always cared for Om the most in the family. He never shared a great relationship with his father; he actually looked up to his Bade Papa when he was young. Ambitious, driven, smart; these were all the qualities he hoped to imbibe from his Bade Papa. But then in his teenage he witnessed the other side of his Bade Papa: selfish, unfaithful, ruthless. He saw how his Bade Papa drove his wife, and later his son, to addiction. His Badi Maa drowned her sorrows in liquor, his brother Om, eventually escaped from his sorrows into drugs. He could not do anything for his Badi Maa, but he, with help from Riddhima, brought Omkara out of addiction. Riddhima, another betrayal for his brother Om. Om broke up with Riddhima barely a couple of months ago. For him, for Shivaay. Omkara would throw out anyone from his life, who sought to drive a wedge between him and his cousin, but closer than his own brother, Shivaay. 

Omkara was fragile. Shivaay remembered the doctor's words clearly. "Mr. Oberoi, your brother is out of danger. As this was a minor relapse, and you saved the situation on time, the reactions won't be severe. But you need to be careful. Your brother came out clean from rehab just a few years ago. His system was not yet strong enough, when he relapsed. Another relapse could be disastrous. I would advise you to keep him away from any kind of intoxicants. Alcohol, bhaang, even high dosage of pain killers and meds should be avoided as much as possible." Shivaay thought back to what the doctor said a few months back when Omkara had suddenly relapsed into drugs. Om did not reveal why, and Shivaay did not poke into it, as Riddhima was back to care of him. Of course, he should've asked later, when Om and Riddhima broke up, but Shivaay had other pressing concerns then.

Shivaay was worried. Where was Om? Though Om reassured him that he won't fall weak, Shivaay wasn't convinced. What if he relapsed again? No, he could not bear to think of it. 

"Khanna!" he called out.

"Yes Sir." Khanna came rushing in.

"Go and find my brother. Go and find Om and bring him to me. Go!" Shivaay ordered.

Khanna didn't need telling twice. He went off to comply with his orders. 

***********************

Omkara was always good with words. Rudy often took the mickey out of him and joked that Om's words were as complicated as his personality.

But what use were big words when he could not follow it up with action? He had effectively challenged Mr. Oberoi that he would not let him destroy and endanger his mother's life. But what was he going to do?

How to stop Mr. Oberoi and Svetlana's marriage? 

Omkara being Omkara, always thought of the right path first. In this case, he took recourse to law. He contacted the best Family Law advocate he knew in the city. There was a long waiting for dates with this advocate. Omkara hated to use his Oberoi surname for anything. He was a self-made, independent man, and he prided himself in that. He prided himself in the knowledge that he didn't need to depend on his surname for anything. More importantly, Omkara valued equality and did not feel it right that the privileged should escape the difficulties of life merely because they were lucky enough to be born in a well-to-do-family. This was often a reason of discord between him and Shivaay, especially last year when Omkara supported Annika and criticized Shivaay's classist attitude towards her. 

But now was not the time for sticking to his principles. That old Omkara who valued his principles, his asool was gone, and replaced with this stone, whose only aim was to break Mr. Oberoi. 

He mentioned his background to the advocate's receptionist. Five minutes later he was on line with this advocate himself. After some discussion, the advocate assured him that he would get the needed decree from court first thing tomorrow morning. Omkara thanked him for his advice, and transferred half the consultation fees from his personal account to the advocate's, after he cut the call. He was still going to spend only his hard-earned money from his artwork. It still did not feel right for him to spend Oberoi money, that too against Mr. Oberoi. 

It was night now. He should return. Shivaay and Rudy would be fretting. He knew his mother was safe as long as his brothers were at home. But he wanted to check on her soon. 

With a heavy sigh, as if exhaling his older self from his body, Omkara got up to return home.