Chapter 79

Next morning saw unwelcome guests in Omkara's house. 

Gauri wasn't running late today, for a change, so she decided to have breakfast with Nana and Nani, and then leave for work. 

As they sat down to have heir meal, the bell sounded. Nani asked one of her servants to go and see who was at the door.

Two people entered, a short man, followed by a lady who was much taller than him. 

"Namaste, we here to see Mr. Omkara Singh Oberoi" said the man courteously. 

"And who might you be?" asked Omkara, as he walked down the stairs.

"I am Mr. Dhurindhar and this is my assistant, Kranti. We are here from the Marriage Registrar's office in Mumbai. We have certain questions to ask about your recent marriage" he explained. 

"And what questions can you have? If you check up with the Registrar's register, you'll see that my recent marriage has already been registered" said Omkara, looking at the pair of them suspiciously.

"Where is your wife, Mr. Oberoi?" asked Dhurindhar, ignoring Omkara's question

"She is here" said Omkara, gesturing to Gauri, who was sitting at the dining table with his grandparents.

"Well, you see Mr. Oberoi, there is something suspicious about your wedding" said Dhurindhar. "You disappeared for three days, and then you come back with a wife in tow. According to your financial records, you paid for your wife's mother's surgery?" 

"What are you getting at?" asked Omkara, not in a mood to play a cat and dog game

"Fine, let me say in simple words. Your wife is from a small town like Moradabad, her mother was in hospital struggling for her life, and she needed urgent money to do the operation. And lo behold, at such an opportune time you appear as her savior and pay for the operation, saving her mother. No, Mr. Oberoi. I'll tell you what is the truth. You saw a beautiful girl, you saw she was in need of money, you gave her the money, and then you bought her. Every year hundreds of girls from poor states of UP and Bihar are sold by their families who are burdened with debts. These poor girls are then bought by rich benefactors, who sneak them into the big metropolitans of Mumbai and Delhi, and then sell them further, into human trafficking. Government tries hard to save these girls but we are usually too late. You thought you could fool us by marrying the girl, but thanks to Ms. Svetlana Kapoor, who acted as a good samaritan, and tipped us off, we can save this girl before she is further sold on in this horrific chain of human trafficking." Dhurindhar breathed deeply, as he finished his tirade.

Omkara was too shocked to react. The charges against him had barely sunk in, when a voice burst out behind him.

"How dare you?" shouted Gauri, her face contorted into terrible fury. 

Gauri didn't know whether she should laugh at the preposterousness of the accusation, and or howl with rage, that they were accusing Omkaraji, the one man who stood by her, when the village elders where tacitly supporting Kali's acquisition of her. 

"You are right, Omkaraji cannot fool you, because ullu ko koi kya ullu banayega (who can fool those who are already fools). You got one tip from a shady source and you came marching here, questioning someone's legal wedding? On the basis of what? That Omkaraji helped me with my mother's operation? Well, it was not as random as you put it. You said that he disappeared for three days, did you find out why? Omkaraji and his mother already knew me, much before this. Don't believe me? Go and take a list of people who were there at Jahnvi auntyji's business party or the Jagraata at her house; a lot of people saw me, even spoke to me. They will all tell you that I am not the impoverished, naive girl sold into...that, as you make out. Omkaraji helped me with my mother's case, out of his kindness, because he is a good man, because his mother likes me. What's more, why don't you go and question my boss, the owner of the shop where I work? And thanks to you, I'm running late for work. If I am held  prisoner here, to be passed on to other people, do you think I will be sauntering in and out of the house, working at my job? Honestly, what is even the basis of your suspicion? That Sultana who you spoke of, she was fired from the Oberoi industries two weeks back, how do you know she is not taking revenge by framing the son of her employer in a scandal, which by the way is based on such flimsy grounds that even those...frivolous newspapers about movie stars would refuse to print it. You..." Gauri breathed out, and took a deep breadth, ready to start again, when Omkara intervened.